BREAKING NEWS: Jose Aldo has officially been ruled out, Conor McGregor vs. Chad Mendes is the new UFC 189 main event -- CLICK HERE.
Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) featherweight kingpin Jose Aldo is expected to defend his title against top 145-pound contender Conor McGregor in the UFC 189 pay-per-view (PPV) main event, scheduled for July 11, 2015 inside MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Aldo's participation is still up in the air following a rib injury last week in Brazil. While there are conflicting reports as to the severity of said injury, "Junior" won't be making his final decision until first attempting to train with his tenderized ribs. That was supposed to happen on Tuesday, however...
I’m told Jose Aldo will not train today. Official call apparently pushed back to Friday.— Guilherme Cruz (@guicruzzz) June 30, 2015
I'm not feeling overly optimistic, but at least we have a Plan B.
In addition, the betting lines have already been swayed in favor of the challenger and the very-real possibility exists that Aldo will be ruled unfit to compete. We also don't know what kind of limitations this puts on his training and whether or not it hampers his ability to cut weight.
What we do know, for now, is that if he does show up for UFC 189 a week from Saturday, he'll be wearing one of these.