Newly-crowned UFC heavyweight champion Fabricio Werdum won't face Cain Velasquez in a rematch for his first title defense. Nor will he take on the No. 2-ranked Junior dos Santos (sorry about that).
The list is down to two fighters: Andrei Arlovski and Stipe Miocic.
UFC President Dana White confirmed the news during a fan Q&A (via Periscope) on Thursday afternoon (June 18, 2015). There had been rumors swirling earlier in the week that Arlovski was guaranteed to get the next shot, but White said that wasn't true.
"I know there's reports out there that Arlovski has it, but that's not true," White said. "It's either going to be Stipe or Arlovksi."
White said he was in favor of dos Santos getting the fight against Werdum, who he knocked out at UFC 90 back in 2008, but the former champion is still on the mend from a recent knee surgery.
"Dos Santos should get that fight, I agree," White said. "But he's hurt and he can't take it."
Miocic is now 12-3 and ranked No. 3 in the UFC heavyweight rankings (see them here). The Croatian fighter lost a five-round split decision to "Cigano" late last year, but bounced back into the win column in May after a one-sided route of Mark Hunt at UFC Fight Night 65 in Australia.
Arlovski, a former UFC heavyweight champion, is 24-10 (1), and has won three fights in a row since returning to the UFC after a six-year absence. He even picked himself up a "Fight of the Night" bonus after knocking out Travis Browne in an upset victory at UFC 187.
Who do you think should get the next shot ... Miocic or Arlovski?