clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Dana White won't make any promises, but says 'it makes sense' for Luke Rockhold to fight for the title next

New, comments
Joe Camporeale-USA TODAY Sports

Luke Rockhold may be next in line for the coveted Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) title shot.

That is according to UFC president Dana White, who told Latin America media recently that it would "make sense" for the former Strikeforce champ to get a crack at gold following his incredible submission victory over Lyoto Machida last month at UFC on FOX 15 (watch the highlights here).

While a victory over Machida would almost guarantee any fighter on the planet a shot at UFC gold, Rockhold is in a predicament with fellow top ranked contender Ronaldo Souza.

"Jacare" too fought at UFC on FOX 15, defeating short notice replacement Chris Camozzi via armbar in just over two minutes.

With a logjam of contenders at the top of the 185 pound heap, White was far from confirming any title shots to MMA Fighting:

"Probably. It makes sense that [Rockhold] would be next, yes, that he would be next. Who knows how all this stuff is gonna play out...

"Even talking about it doesn't make sense because, first of all, Chris still has to fight Vitor, and whoever wins has to come out uninjured, which hasn't been easy to do lately, and then we have to make sure Luke stays healthy. We'll see what happens with Weidman and Vitor and we will go from there."

With Dana White recently questioning American Kickboxing Academy's (AKA) "stone age" training regimen following numerous injuries to their fighters, it should come as no surprise that UFC's head honcho is a bit apprehensive to name Rockhold the guaranteed No. 1 contender right now.

First things first, Vitor Belfort will finally get his crack at Chris Weidman at the UFC 187 pay-per-view (PPV) on May 23, 2015 live from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Once the dust settles in "Sin City," we will all have a better idea of who gets the next middleweight title shot.