Earlier this week, Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) women's bantamweight No. 1 contender, Bethe Correia, told members of the Brazilian media that reigning division titleholder, Ronda Rousey, might contemplate suicide after losing to "The Pitbull" at UFC 190.
Naturally, that went over like a lead balloon.
After Rousey responded and swore "comeuppance," Correia took to Twitter to apologize for her remark, insisting she was unaware that "Rowdy" lost her father to suicide when she was very young, despite the multiple references to it on UFC programming and in the Olympian's recent memoir.
Two ways of looking at this.
It's possible Correia -- who seemed to be in tune with some of Rousey's other past struggles -- was trying to play mind games and went too far, and is now doing damage control after the tactic backfired and perhaps landed her in hot water with the powers that be.
Or maybe, just maybe, she really didn't know and just stinks at talking trash.
Either way, their score will be settled on Aug. 1, 2015 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, when these two undefeated bantamweights battle for Rousey's belt. And forgiveness or not, I wouldn't trade places with Correia for all the picanha in Brazil.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage