Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) fans waited more than one year to watch Chris Weidman and Vitor Belfort settle their score inside the Octagon.
It was well worth the wait.
In the co-main event of UFC 187, which took place inside MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, tonight (Sat., May 23, 2015), Weidman survived an early blitz to secure perhaps his most impressive victory to date.
Weidman got the action started early, uncorking two head kicks that failed to find their marks. He went for a takedown and Belfort defended, as Weidman got back to his feet he chased the retreating Brazilian, which turned out to be a big mistake as Belfort used his momentum against him.
Belfort then went nuts along the cage, but Weidman was able to to survive. In fact, he did more than survive, he battled back and secured a takedown, which lead to an absolute savage ground-and-pound assault. Belfort was helpless, unable to escape and defend the bombs. He rolled to his belly, but after several un-blocked ear plugs, he went back to his back.
But, he could not stop the looming punishment, as a bloodied Weidman continued his merciless attack until the referee pulled him off.
Impressive is not even the word.
For complete results from UFC 187: "Johnson vs. Cormier," including play-by-play updates, click here.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage