The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 17 winner,, was poised to make his mixed martial arts (MMA) mark last night (Sat., Jan. 31, 2015) in the co-main event of against fellow top-ranked contender, .
But, Gastelum missed his mark at yesterday's weigh in ... and it was all down hill from that point forward.
Woodley won a split decision after three rounds ofaction inside MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. But, it was a very dull duel, with both fighters seemingly looking to end the match with one punch. There was virtually zero grappling, which is a bit strange considering Woodley and Gastelum are wrestlers.
Gastelum was the more aggressive pressure fighter, but he couldn't get through Woodley's defense. If and when he did, Gastelum couldn't avoid Woodley's stinging right hand. There were rumblings that Gastelum was hospitalized earlier this week with an illness, which could explain his botched weight cut and puzzling performance last night.
But, what's done is done. Gastelum didn't show up this weekend and suffered the first loss of his mixed martial arts (MMA) career. In the process, he also suffered a serious setback in the 170-pound contender chase, one that might become a 185-pound hunt in the future if he delivers another Welterweight scale fail.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage