clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Rafael dos Anjos warns Conor McGregor: 'Coming to lightweight is not a smart decision'

New, 50 comments
Tim Heitman-USA TODAY Sports

Conor McGregor has been warned.

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) lightweight champion, Rafael dos Anjos, is all for a matchup against the current featherweight kingpin.

But, before the two sign on the dotted line for a 155-pound championship fight, "RDA" is giving "Notorious" a chance to rethink his plans, as he says moving up to the bigger weight class to take him on isn't the smartest of moves.

His said as much during the UFC on FOX 17 post-fight press conference (video here):

"Yeah, since I won the fight against Pettis, I had my MCL injury and it took me maybe four months to get better. And finally here I am defending my belt, and I didn't have any injuries. I'm looking forward to coming back as soon as possible. Conor McGregor has said he wants to come to my division, and I think it will not be a smart decision for him. But if he wants to come, I will be happy to welcome him."

Dos Anjos retained his title by tearing right through Donald Cerrone in the main event of last night's (Sat., Dec. 19, 2015) UFC on FOX 17 main event in Orlando, Florida (see it again here).

The win marked his first title defense since taking out Anthony Pettis at UFC 185 earlier this year to claim the coveted belt. Now, his next defense could very well come against "Notorious," who has set wheels in motion to go after the 155-pound belt.

But, after last night's impressive performance from "RDA," would it behoove McGregor to stay put at featherweight to defend his belt a few times before challenging the Brazilian bomber?