clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Demolition plan: Alistair Overeem will fight Junior dos Santos, test free agency after UFC contract expires

New, comments

Move over "Smooth," you may have some company.

Tim Heitman-USA TODAY Sports

Somewhere in San Jose, Bellator boss Scott Coker is licking his chops.

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) heavyweight Alistair Overeem -- who previously competed for Coker under the Strikeforce banner -- has just one fight left on his existing ZUFFA contract. And it just so happens to be against Junior dos Santos this Saturday night (Dec. 19, 2015) at UFC on FOX 17.

Then what?

"Going into this weekend's fight with Junior Dos Santos, Alistair Overeem has one fight left on his contract," Ariel Helwani told UFC Tonight. "He's playing it out and wants to test the market after the fight. A win on Saturday could mean some big bucks."

Overeem (39-14, 1 NC) is 4-3 since crossing over back in 2011.

That said, "Demolition Man" could be one win away from a division title shot. While he's only ranked No. 9 in the division, Overeem hold a previous win over current heavyweight champion Fabricio Werdum. And if "Vai Cavalo" falls to Cain Velasquez at UFC 196, you can argue the Dutchman is a fresh face in the title picture.

But none of that matters unless he wins because a loss ... well, he can forget about those "big bucks."

At least from UFC.