and finally settled their score last night (Jan. 3, 2015) in the main event of , which took place inside MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.
It was billed as a "bad blood" grudge match, with both fighters at each others' throats in the build up to the highly anticipated pay-per-view (PPV) main event. And it had a lot to do with Cormier grabbing Jones' throat at a promotional event over the summer, resulting in a wild unsanctioned brawl (watch that here).
Well, the real thing lived up to the hype ... at least for the first three rounds.
Indeed, it was a close match early, as Cormier looked to eliminate the reach advantage and turn it into a dog fight. He was successful in the early going, but midway through round three Jones began to take over as Cormier faded. "Bones" actually fought Cormier's fight -- getting the better of the dirty boxing and scoring a handful of takedowns -- while Cormier struggled to match the champion's creative strikes inside and get the action horizontal.
In the end, Jones won a clear unanimous decision, handing Cormier the first loss of his mixed martial arts (MMA) career. And it likely won't get any bitter if it happens again in the future.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage