UFC 178: "'Johnson vs. Cariaso" blew the roof off the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada on Sat., Sept. 27, 2014, with an unusual pay-per-view (PPV) offering rich with stories you either need to get up to date on or go back and revisit.
Not just saying, but doing
Conor McGregor was already on his way to being the next big star in MMA and he blew the doors wide open here by finishing off Dustin Poirier in the very first round of their featherweight showcase both did a great job hyping as a huge deal.
- Read the recap and start the anticipation for McGregor's inevitable top contender fight.
- The highlights are worth watching to see how close the knockout blow was to being illegal. Read the breakdown here.
- Promotion is one thing, but UFC President Dana White kicked the hyperbole into overdrive by calling McGregor a bigger star than Brock Lesnar or George St. Pierre ever was.
- This certainly isn't proof of his pending superstardom but McGregor hosted the post-presser scrum instead of Dana White.
Highlights and breakdowns
- Demetrious Johnson submitted Chris Cariaso in the second round of their flyweight title match-up in the least surprising result in MMA history. You can read how he set it up here and watch him pull it off here. What's next for the champion? Here's a few ideas.
- Dominick Cruz returned from a near three-year layoff to knock out Takeya Mizugaki in just 61 seconds. You can watch the entire fight right here.
- Donald Cerrone spoiled Eddie Alvarez's Octagon debut by outlasting the former Bellator champion. Here's how he swayed the judges. Highlights can be found here.
- Cat Zingano overcame a world of adversity, including an awful opening round, to score an emotional stoppage victory over Amanda Nunes. Read about how she managed to stand tall in the end before watching her put in work.
- Tim Kennedy was knocked out by Yoel Romero in the second round of their middleweight showcase but it came after a huge controversy over the latter's stool (not as dirty as it sounds, sadly). Here's a breakdown of the entire ordeal. Kennedy thinks he was screwed -- and he wasn't shy about confronting Romero backstage (watch video of that here) -- but the Nevada State Athletic Commission is basically laughing at his plans to appeal the loss.
- Get full results and a complete recap of the preliminary card.
- Where do they go from here? Find out what could be next for all the main card winners.
- There were some big winners but also some lowly losers.
- He said what?!?
- Dominick Cruz will challenge TJ Dillashaw for the bantamweight championship in his next fight.
- Cat Zingano earned her title shot against Ronda Rousey (again) when she stopped Amanda Nunes.
- Donald Cerrone is a crazy person and he wants to fight again in November.
- Heartbroken Dustin Poirier is heartbroken.
- Meanwhile, poor Tim Kennedy's face is broken.
- Here's the full list of bonus award winners.
- Go back and watch the complete post-fight press conference.
That, my friends, should be enough to keep you talking -- at least for the time being. What gets your vote for the biggest story coming out of UFC 178?
Sound off, Maniacs.
All photos by Stephen R. Sylvanie-USA TODAY Sports.