clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

UFC cuts Thiago Silva, suspends Anthony Johnson 'indefinitely' following domestic dispute

Esther Lin

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) has released Thiago Silva from his ZUFFA contract (again) and not long after, suspended fellow light heavyweight Anthony Johnson following a recent domestic dispute involving the mother of his children.

Let's start with Silva.

The Brazilian was reinstated by UFC President Dana White earlier this month after he was cleared of assault charges stemming from an incident involving his ex-wife, Thaysa Kamiji. Not only was she uncooperative as a witness, she fled the country and started over in Abu Dhabi.

But now that she's out of harm's way, she's singing like a canary.

Kamiji, who insists she is "still afraid" following years of abuse, recently provided video to Globo Extra that appears to capture Silva brandishing a weapon, part of the original police report, along with another that she claims is Silva high on cocaine.

Take a look:

It didn't take long for UFC to get wind of these videos, as well as her statement, and drop the hammer.

"Thiago Silva was released from his UFC contract on Feb. 7 due to his arrest by police in South Florida. The charges against Silva were dropped by the Broward County District Attorney's office and Silva was re-signed to the UFC earlier this month. Based on new information received today in the form of video and audio evidence, Silva has been terminated from his UFC contract."

He's not the only one in trouble.

Johnson had a dust up with the law back in his welterweight days, and was eventually sentenced to three years probation and forced to undergo domestic violence counseling after pleading no contest to misdemeanor charges back in 2009.

It appeared to be an isolated incident.

Then came a new report from Bloody Elbow indicating that Johnson in fact had a second incident in 2012, one that left the mother of his children missing her two front teeth. She recently called the police and filed a police report alleging that "she is receiving threats which she believes are coming from Johnson's friends."

UFC responds:

"We are aware of the situation involving Anthony Johnson. As a result, we are suspending him indefinitely. We are using a third-party law firm to conduct a formal investigation and once we have more information, we'll determine whether further course of action is necessary."

What a mess.

We're still in the very early stages of these reports, fight fans, so be sure to check back for more details over the coming days, if not hours. And you can expect the UFC Fight Night 52 post-fight media scrum with Dana White to be very interesting.

Stay tuned.

Sign up for the newsletter Sign up for the MMA Mania Daily Roundup newsletter!

A daily roundup of all your fighting news from MMA Mania