Anderson Silva was rushed to the hospital earlier this week after a crippling bout with lumbago, lower back pain severe enough to cause "The Spider" to lose feeling in both legs (details). While it was probably a frightening scene at the time, the Brazilian was released shortly thereafter and is expected to suffer no lingering effects.
In an exclusive interview, Silva's coaches and the Brazilian Athletic Commission doctor, Dr. Marcio Tannure, said the training incident that sent Silva to a Rio de Janeiro hospital for an exam and treatment is not serious, and will not jeopardize his five-round return bout against Diaz.
"He has felt this pain before. It has nothing to do with the surgery." Tannure said.
A few of Silva's coaches, who preferred not to be identified, were surprised by the media attention the fighter's back ailment has received.
"He just felt a normal pain; we did not understand the proportion it took," one coach told UFC.com.br. "The pain can return, as he has already felt it before. But it is not going to harm his career. "
One of the biggest names in mixed martial arts (MMA) collapses and is hospitalized and his coaches are "surprised" it generated media attention?
I guess the stupid media should be used to it by now considering how often it happens.
The good news is, Silva is still scheduled to throw down against Nick Diaz in the UFC 183 pay-per-view (PPV) main event on Jan. 31, 2015 in Las Vegas, Nevada, nearly one year after shattering his shin against reigning middleweight champion Chris Weidman.
Is not normal.