Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), at one time, was $2 million in debt.
Now? It's worth about $1.65 billion.
Not bad for a mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion that legally, still cannot do business in the state of New York. In fact, that number is good enough to land UFC on the Forbes Fab 40 list of "World's Most Valuable Sports Brands" (via Lift Studios), not far behind Major League Baseball (MLB).
UFC is a new member of the Fab 40. The estimated value of the mixed martial arts promotion company is $1.65 billion (15 times earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization), while the average business with the same profitability would be worth $1.21 billion (11 times operating income). The UFC brand is worth $440 million ($1.65 billion minus $1.21 billion).
Not surprisingly, Nike was No. 1.
The Forbes Fab 40 list consists of the 10 most valuable sports brands in four different categories including businesses (like UFC), events (Super Bowl), teams (New York Yankees), and athletes (LeBron James), then quantifies the earning power of each brand relative to its competitors.
See all four categories here.
World domination doesn't come cheap, I suppose.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage