clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Battlegrounds 'O.N.E' results recap: Roan Carneiro wins eight-man tournament and $50,000

Roan "Jucao" Carneiro defeated Randall "Buddy" Wallace, Trey Houston and Brock Larson in the final fight last night (Oct. 3, 2014) to win the eight-man tournament and $50,000 at BOK Center in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

Photo via @jucao21

Battlegrounds MMA revived the martial arts (MMA) one-night, eight-man tournament last night (Oct. 3, 2014) in Tulsa, Okla., with  "O.N.E.," offering $50,000 to whoever could deliver the grittiest performance.

And it was Roan "Jucao" Carneiro who was the last man standing, defeating Randy "Buddy" Wallace via submission, Trey Houston via technical knockout and finally Brock Larson by unanimous decision. All told, the Brazilian fought a total of 29 minutes and 45 seconds on the night, while Larson tallied a whopping 36 minutes and 43 seconds.

In the tournament final, Carneiro would start the fight out by shooting in for a takedown on Larson, but was unsuccessful. They battled against the cage and were eventually separated. Carneiro did get Larson to the ground for a few moments, but Larson got back to his feet. Larson -- who had to pass a concussion test after the semifinal round -- was able to land a punch and then he tried a takedown of his own but could not get it.

The round ended with both fighters clinched up against the cage.

In the second stanza, Carneiro would again work for a takedown, but wouldn't get it. That wouldn't be to his detriment as he got the best out of the majority of the stand up exchanges. Carneiro landed a kick and ended up on top of Larson as the round ended.

In the final round, Larson would miss on a takedown attempt and Carneiro would take his back, drag him to the ground and flatten out his opponent. From there he came close to ending it several times, but Larson would manage to hang on. Larson would end up on his back and Carneiro would stay in control for the remainder of the third round.

"Jucao" won his quarterfinal matchup over Randal "Buddy" Wallace by way of armbar after making a slick transition from Wallace's back to land the fight ending submission. Carneiro punched his ticket into the final by finishing off Trey Houston via technical knockout at the 2:11 mark of round two in the semifinal match up.

Carneiro -- who was dealing with dehydration between rounds -- dominated Houston the entire first round with his grappling. The Brazilian got Houston on to the ground and never let him up, finishing the round in full mount after landing several punches via ground and pound.

Houston started out well in the second round and avoiding being taken down for the first minute, but Carneiro was able to get him down once again. After passing to side control Carneiro failed on an armbar attempt, and both fighters returned to their feet. Ironically, after dominant grappling, it would be a right cross, left hook combination by Carneiro that sent Houston to the canvas the next time.

From there, the American Top Team-trained fighter would finish him off for good on the ground and advance to the final.

In the opposing bracket, Larson won his quarterfinal fight over Cody McKenzie via side-triangle choke at the 2:42 mark of the second round. He would make it to the final fight the hard way, going the distance in the semifinals to defeat Joe Ray by unanimous decision (29-28) on all three judges score cards.

Larson would have the advantage in the first round by landing on some timely combinations and a cut opened up on the bridge of Ray's nose. Larson would fight for and land a late takedown but didn't follow up with anything and Ray got back up to his feet.

In the second, Larson fought toward another takedown and when attempting a kimura he lost position and ended up on the bottom. Ray wouldn't land much from that position, but would control the rest of the round. At the end of the round Ray almost locked up a d'arce choke, but couldn't seal the deal.

In the final round, Larson landed another takedown and after passing Ray's guard he nearly got caught in another D'arce choke, with a very slick attempt by Ray from the bottom. Larson would spin around and land a few punches. Ray made it up to his feet and Larson landed a few punches and attempted a takedown at the horn.

In the other two quarter final matchups, Houston submitted Jesse Taylor by armbar at the 2:10 mark of round one and Ray advanced to the semifinals after a technical knockout victory over Luigi Fioravanti at 2:39 of round two.

For complete Battlegrounds MMA: "O.N.E." results, including's live discussion post from last night, click here.

Sign up for the newsletter Sign up for the MMA Mania Daily Roundup newsletter!

A daily roundup of all your fighting news from MMA Mania