Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) featherweight Chad Mendes became the first man to finish Clay Guida by TKO when he finished the fight in the third round at UFC 164 last night (August 31, 2013) at the BMO Harris Bradley Center in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
Mendes has reinvented himself in the past year, finishing his last four bouts by TKO. Last night was no different. He controlled distance and the clinch against Guida, landing strikes and hitting takedowns whenever he committed to them. In fact, the final punch sounded like a gunshot when it connected with Guida's chin.
He finds himself in an interesting position right now. Featherweight champion, Jose Aldo, is currently sidelined due to injury and when the two fought back at UFC 142 in Brazil, Aldo was able to finish Mendes by TKO in the first round. However, it's pretty clear that Mendes is the second best fighter in the division, showcasing all around skills.
He talked about his win with MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani as well as discussed newcomer, Connor McGregor, who recently called out the top 10 fighters in the UFC's featherweight division.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage