Josh Barnett successfully made his return to the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) last night (August 31, 2013) at the BMO Harris Bradley Center in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, when he stopped Frank Mir in the first round of the UFC 164 co-main event.
Though some have claimed the bout was stopped too quickly, there was little doubt that the 'War Master' was on his way to finishing Mir after landing a devastating knee to the face in the first round. In fact, the entire first round saw Barnett land the heavier shots from the clinch and at range.
He was obviously elated, as this was his first fight in the Octagon in over 11 years. The win cements Barnett's place in the top 10 of the UFC's heavyweight division, and likely sets up some interesting fights in the future against the likes of Travis Browne, Fabricio Werdum, and Stipe Miocic to work towards a title shot.
He spoke with MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani and gave his thoughts on the fight and cut a bit of a promo about 'hard times' daddy.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage