Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) held a special media day today (June 13, 2013) to help drum up some hype for its UFC 161 pay-per-view (PPV) event this Saturday night (June 15), which takes place live from MTS Centre in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.
As expected, main event foes and light heavyweight title contenders Rashad Evans and Dan Henderson were on the scene, chatting with reporters and making a case for a win this weekend, as were co-headliners and heavyweight hopefuls Roy Nelson and Stipe Miocic.
To see their staredown pics click here.
Of course, no media day would be complete without a video scrum from UFC President Dana White, who took the time out of his pre-fight schedule to dish a little dirt on all things mixed martial arts (MMA). We'll be sure to carve out all the meaningful nuggets for you a as soon as possible.
In the meantime, highlights include, but are not limited to:
- Georges St. Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks Welterweight title fight will likely happen in November
- Jon Jones vs. Alexander Gustafsson Light Heavyweight title fight will headline UFC 165 in September (more details here)
- Cain Velasquez vs. Junior dos Santos 3 Heavyweight title fight will headline UFC 166 in October (more details here)
- White says he would like to think his stance against TRT is influencing athletic commissions (like the one in California)
- White responded to UFC 161 fight card complaints, saying "we have a bunch of fans who like to complain about shit"
- White talked about Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Saul "Canelo" Alvarez boxing match, predicting that "Money" is too fast and defensive for the Mexican fighter (more details here)
- White said the television deal in Mexico expedites a debut show there, but it won't happen this year
- White said filming on The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 18 is going "bad" because coaches Ronda Rousey and Miesha Tate really hate each other -- on a Tito Ortiz vs. Ken Shamrock level
- White explained the reason social media and fan engagement is very important to him and the organization
- White recommended that guys like Eddie Wineland and Fabricio Werdum should keep taking fights in their divisions and not wait for title shots
- White suggested that if Roy Nelson wins this weekend he might possibly rematch Werdum next
- White is done talking about New York regulation (more details here), but revealed that Russia is on the bucket list
- White predicted that the loser between Rashad Evans vs. Dan Henderson in the UFC 161 main event will statistically never get close to a title shot again
That's not all! Watch the full video above for the complete lowdown. Enjoy.
Remember: MMAmania.com will provide LIVE round-by-round, blow-by-blow coverage of the entire UFC 161 fight card on fight night (June 15, 2013), starting with the Facebook "Prelims," which are scheduled to begin at 7 p.m. ET, right on through the FX-televised under card bouts at 8 p.m. ET and then main card PPV action, which is slated to begin at 10 p.m. ET.
See you then!