clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

ROAD FC 11 results: Yui Chul Nam wins lightweight grand prix, Joachim Hansen makes victorious MMA comeback

Yui Chul Nam is the new Road FC Lightweight Champ, while "Hellboy" Hansen got back to his winning ways in Seoul, South Korea, earlier today.

Yui Chul Nam
Yui Chul Nam

Yui Chul Nam won the Road Fighting Championship (ROAD FC) Lightweight Grand Prix, which took place earlier today (April 13, 2013) from Seoul Olympic Hall in Seoul, South Korea, becoming the Korean mixed martial arts (MMA) organization's first-ever 155-pound champion.

Nam earned a decision win over Takasuke Kume in a fight that went to an extra round after the judges were unable to separate the two on the scorecards after 15 minutes.

The first round was close and competitive as the two exchanged unsuccessful takedown attempts and clinched up against the cage with neither able to gain a clear cut advantage. In round two, Kume turned a takedown into an attempted guillotine, which looked tight, but Nam was able to eventually work his way out and finished the round trying to lock in a rear-naked of his own.

The third round belonged to the Korean, who got an early takedown and went to work with ground-and-pound from inside Kume's guard. It was a tense wait while the scorecards were collected. And with the judges unable to separate the two, the fight went to a decisive fourth round.

Kume went for an immediate takedown and they clinched up against the cage, but it was Nam who succeeded in flinging the Japanese fighter to the floor. He was able to work his way to his feet, but gave up his back in the process and the Korean fighter again failed in a rear-naked choke attempt.

Kume escaped and worked his way into half guard where he went to work with some ground-and-pound of his own with punches that were frequent yet entirely ineffective. At this stage Nam had two successful takedowns in the book, but it was the Japanese fighter who was in the dominant position, making the referees decision to stand up the fight with a minute to go potentially decisive.

Had Nam been allowed to remain in Kume's half guard for the remaining 60 seconds he would probably have won the round, but although the frequency of his striking was sufficient he wasn't putting any power on his shots and the referees decision to stand up the fight, while potentially decisive, was understandable.

In the final minute Nam was able to secure two more takedowns, the last one coming in the final seconds to take the round and with it the Road FC Lightweight Grand Prix and belt. With the win his record improves to 16-4-1 while Kume drops to 15-2-4.

In the co main event Joachim Hansen made a triumphant return to the cage after almost two years away from competition; however, it was far from a comfortable night's work for the Norwegian against Doo Won Seo. The former Dream lightweight champion looked to use his Muay Thai in the opening round firing off kicks and knees from his southpaw stance.

Seo was looking to land punches and he succeeded in doing that with a straight right hand which connected clean and wobbled Hansen. Smelling blood the Korean moved in for the kill and swarmed forward with punches before switching strategies and scoring a takedown.

Hanson recovered sufficiently to land some up kicks, but Seo was in the ascendancy and sunk in a deep guillotine from the mounted position. The Norwegian could clearly be seen preparing to tap out but the bell came to his rescue.

Buoyed by his success Seo shot for a takedown at the start of the second stanza, but Hansen was able to use an armbar attempt to reverse the position and finding himself on top he finished the fight in ruthless fashion, moving into mount and cinching in an arm triangle choke.

Hansen improves to 23-11-1 with his first win since defeating Mitsuhiro Ishida at Dream: "Fight for Japan" in May 2011, while Seo drops to 7-4. Earlier in the night Sakadjou won a decision over Seng Bae Whi by brutalizing the Korean with leg kicks for three whole rounds.

Ikuhisa Minowa was not so successful, he simply ran out of stamina and was stopped by Hae Suk Son with strikes early in the third round. Brazilian Luis Ramos can count himself extremely unfortunate not to have left Korea with a win after his fight with Jung Hwan Cha was controversially ruled a draw, while Turkey's Murat Kazgan scored a first round submission win over Hyun Suk Lee.

Sign up for the newsletter Sign up for the MMA Mania Daily Roundup newsletter!

A daily roundup of all your fighting news from MMA Mania