Welcome, Maniacs, to the thirty-seventh edition of "This Week in MMAmania.com." MMAmania is a gigantic and glorious place and we pump out a ridiculous amount of content. If you don't refresh this site every 60 minutes, you might just miss something amazing.
Have no fears, that's what this weekly article is all about! We'll recap the best of all things MMAmania, whether it be a great comment, a Fan Post, an article, video or something else.
- Comment of the Week: This one goes to Patrick Daryl for his perfectly worded reply, which was a dig at Georges St. Pierre and his string of unanimous decision victories in the last few years.
How many of you have tried GSP's workout?
It's a solid workout and great for leaning up for spring and summer.
I started it, but couldn't finish
- Patrick Daryl
- Article of the week: There was more controversy this week in the fallout of UFC 158 and the Quebec athletic commission is at the center of it. See where it all started right here.
- MMAmania's Verbal Submission Podcast: The podcast was back this week as yours truly talked to a pair of guests, including elite head MMA coach Duke Roufus and recent World Series of Fighting II competitor Tyson Nam, who had a very interesting fight in mind for his next bout.
Did you miss it? Don't worry, you can listen to the archived podcast by clicking on the player below:
- Statistic of the Week: Sometimes, I just don't know with you guys. Believe it or not, with UFC 158, all the crazy Georges St. Pierre and Nick Diaz controversy and fallout from this week, one of our most popular articles was about Johny Hendricks shaving his beard. I shit you not.
- Fanpost of the Week: This week's best fanpost goes to F'n Clownshoes for his take on how history will look at the Diaz/GSP UFC 158 commission weight-gate situation. Very well put and worth your time.
- Honorable mention fanpost of the week: Don't forget to vote for your MMAmania awards! Most Knowledgeable poster is up for grabs with the fourth vote, so make sure you contribute if you haven't already.
- Honorable mention comment of the week: This one goes to Plainview, who has now set a record for three straight weeks with a comment making the highlight reel. This time around, he went after Melvin Guillard amid the allegations of his outstanding assault charged in Albuquerque.
He's a good fighter but has had his hole exposed multiple times, and if he doesn't get his shit together, Bernalillo County Jail's finest are going to be exposing his hole even more.
- Interview of the Week: It was a good week for interviews but the most interesting of all was probably with Bellator 94 winner Emanuel Newton (before he fought last night). Get some really solid insight on "The Hardcore Kid" here.
But that's not all, we also had an interview with the other Bellator 94 tournament winner David Rickels and top flyweight prospect Sergio Pettis.
- Video of the Week: When I first saw this amazing compilation of Michael Schiavello at the recent RFA event, I knew it was destined to be our video of the week.
We don't just have great content on MMAmania, our writers also are very active on Twitter, most notably our beloved Geno Mrosko. Unfortunately, Geno seems to have deleted his Twitter account a while ago, so other Mania writers had to step up their game. Let's see how they did.
Here's our honorary #GenoTime Tweet of the Week: Our big winner this week was George Halvatzis Jr., who had a pretty humorous burn concerning the latest round of UFC cuts:
When Josh Neer is in the headline of a story about fighters getting cut from the UFC, you know the other guys cut weren't good anyway.
-George Halvatzis Jr.
If you want to catch any good tweets from your Mania writers, here are our accounts: Thomas Myers, Jesse Holland, Adam Guillen Jr., Mike Bohn, Andrew Richardson, George Halvatsis Jr., Jason Probst and Brian Hemminger.
- Obligatory TNA of the Week: Now that's a bounce I can really get behind.
- Scottidog's "Good guy comment of the week" - Let's be honest, the comments in the article about Korean Zombie calling Georges St. Pierre's "Rising Sun" logo on his walkout gi got completely out of hand. Thankfully, HandsomeTim showed up at the end to bring some serenity and reason to the situation.
Reading some of the posts here has me concerned. The letter that the Zombie wrote was clear and I felt more to educate. The fact that there are posts here attacking him and questioning whether not he has the right to be offended is just wrong. You can't know someone unless you have lived in their shoes.
I only hope that some of you are stating these things simply for affect and are not as racist as you are making yourself out to be.
Lastly, let's finish off the week with some Maniac debate. As the week comes to a close, let's get some input:
What do you think about Frankie Edgar fighting Charles Oliveira next? Would you have preferred to see him fight a top contender right away or does he need to work his way back up into title contender status again?
That's it for this week. If you've got an extra suggestions for content, or nominations for articles, comments or discussion topics, please feel free to e-mail me at (and I made this e-mail especially for this): HemmingerMMA@gmail.com.