The most highly anticipated fight in a long, long time finally went down tonight (Sat., March 16, 2013) at the Bell Centre in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, with Nick Diaz challenging welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre in the main event of UFC 158 live on pay-per-view.
And it went just about the way so many experts expected it to.
St. Pierre, the greatest welterweight champion of all time, used his old familiar wrestling game to take Diaz down and wear him out over the early rounds. His positional control is second to none and that's the strategy he employed to earn as many points as possible over the first three rounds.
By the time they got to the fourth, it was clear that Diaz needed to finish "Rush" in order to win the fight. He revealed after the bout that he knew as much but simply couldn't get the job done.
In fact, he went one step further and said he doesn't think he has it anymore and he plans to retire from mixed martial arts (MMA). He did the same thing after his loss to Carlos Condit but came back for this fight, so we'll see if that rings true this time.
Still, Georges St. Pierre is your 170-pound king and if the UFC sticks with its word, he'll meet Johny Hendricks later this year with his title once again on the line.
Everyone good with all this?
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage