After UFC Fight Night 29 concluded from Jose Correa Arena in Barueri, Brazil, Wednesday night (Oct. 9, 2013), Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) officials were left wondering what to do with Rousimar Palhares following his submission victory over Mike Pierce.
The decision didn't take very long as "Toquinho" was cut from the world's leading mixed martial arts (MMA) organization earlier today (full details here).
Company President Dana White broke the news during an interview with ESPN's Jeremy Schaap, during which he compares the ugly situation to the first "unsportsmanlike conduct" that involved Paul Daley, who sucker punched Josh Koscheck after the bell.
Daley's situation resulted in a lifetime ban. And based on White's current tone in the video above, it appears that Palhares will face the same fate ... even if he claims he "never meant to hurt anyone." Does the punishment fit the crime or is the Brazilian Welterweight simply being used as an unfair example?
Let's hear your take in the comments section below.
For more news, notes and reactions from UFC Fight Night 29, including fight video highlights and play-by-play coverage of all the action from Brazil, check out our "Maia vs. Shields" live coverage story stream by clicking here.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage