clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

History in the Making: Ed Herman returns from a career-threatening injury to rattle off three wins

Photo by Esther Lin by <a href="">SBNation</a>
Photo by Esther Lin by SBNation

Ed Herman was taking on Aaron Simpson at UFC 102 when, in the first round, he injured his leg. Visibly limping to his corner afterwards, it wasn't long into the second stanza Herman was clutching his knee in pain on the canvas.

Following his injury, it was unknown if "Short Fuse" would ever fight again.

That was nearly three years ago.

Now, less than a week away from UFC 150 Herman is not only back in the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) but riding a three fight winning streak as well.

Two submission victories and a 48 second technical knockout (TKO) victory are what Herman can hang his hat onto now. And not only has it revitalized his career, it's brought him to the main card of Saturday's (August 11) event in Denver, CO.

A victory over Jake Shields could be the next step in Herman's career but first, let's take a look back at how "Short Fuse" got here.

Are you ready?

Herman returned to the Octagon 664 days after his knee injury at The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 13 Finale to take on Tim Credeur. The specters of his injury and ring rust loomed large but "Short Fuse" was a regular Peter Venkman in busting that ghost.

Credeur started the fight snapping off his jab while Herman looked for a counter hook. Eventually, it landed and "Crazy" took notice of his opponent's power. That power was once again shoved in Credeur's face when they tangled up and Herman belted him in the jaw with two short uppercuts.

The second dropped "Crazy" to the canvas and some pinpoint ground and pound from "Short Fuse" finished him off.

The comeback had started.

Two months later, he replaced an injured Tom Lawlor to take on Kyle Noke at UFC on Versus 5. Herman was only in the cage with Credeur for 48 seconds so he arrived in Milwaukee relatively fresh.

The Aussie quickly got Herman on his back but the TUF veteran threatened with submissions from the bottom. Wading through punches and elbows, Herman slapped on a nasty armbar. Noke was forced to defend and managed to slip out of the submission.

"KO" then blasted Herman with more ground and pound before getting to his feet. At this point, Herman wrapped his legs around one of Noke's and began creeping toward what would end up being the finish.

Noke looked to land more ground and pound but Herman twisted his opponent's leg around and secured a textbook heel hook, forcing the Aussie to tap out immediately.

The comeback continues.

Herman took the rest of 2011 off and stepped back inside the Octagon at UFC 143 against Clifford Starks. With two wins already under his belt, "Short Fuse" was looking to make it three.

The Team Quest fighter came out swinging and put Starks on his heels. He quickly recovered and turned the tide on Herman, landing great strikes of his own. Starks bullied "Short Fuse" against the cage and even reversed a takedown. It seemed Herman's amazing comeback was about to come to an end.

But less than two minutes into the second round, Herman had secured a takedown, transitioned to backmount and snaked his arm around Starks' neck. One quick tapout later and "Short Fuse" was 3-0 since his return.

The comeback lives on.

Now Herman is slated to take on former Strikeforce middleweight champion Jake Shields. A win here could catapult him to the upper echelon of the 185-pound division. Pretty good for a guy who wasn't supposed to fight again.

Does "Short Fuse" have what it takes?

Sign up for the newsletter Sign up for the MMA Mania Daily Roundup newsletter!

A daily roundup of all your fighting news from MMA Mania