clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

UFC on FUEL TV 4 results: James Te Huna decisions Joey Beltran

July 11, 2012; San Jose, CA, USA; James Te Huna (right) fights Joey Beltran (left) during the light heavyweight bout of the UFC on Fuel TV at HP Pavilion. Mandatory Credit: Kyle Terada-US PRESSWIRE
July 11, 2012; San Jose, CA, USA; James Te Huna (right) fights Joey Beltran (left) during the light heavyweight bout of the UFC on Fuel TV at HP Pavilion. Mandatory Credit: Kyle Terada-US PRESSWIRE

The co-main event of the UFC on FUEL TV 4: "Munoz vs. Weidman" event tonight (Wed., July 11, 2012) from the HP Pavilion in San Jose, California, featured the return of Joey Beltran against Australian asskicker James Te Huna.

Beltran was cut from the UFC after losing four of five bouts from Sept. 2010 to Jan. 2012. He rebounded outside the Octagon and is getting a second chance at a new weight class at light heavyweight. Te Huna, of course, was tasked with spoiling the party while continuing his streak of victories.

And that's exactly what he did.

Beltran was game, as he continues to prove to be one of the toughest men in all of mixed martial arts (MMA), but at times during the fight he resembled a punching bag. By the time the horn sounded, he was battered and beaten, dropping a decision to the Aussie on scores of 30-26, 30-27, and 30-27.

Thanks for playing.

Seeing as the match-up portended fireworks, it was nice to see both men rush out to the center and start throwing bombs. Te Huna pushed forward and had Beltran against the fence, landing hard shots.

To his credit, Beltran stayed poised and didn't buckle under the pressure. In fact, he landed a hard counter shot that got Te Huna to back off enough for the two to get back to the center and reset.

Fun fun.

The Aussie was uber-relaxed, hands low and dishing out punishment at will. He kept bringing it, too, and Beltran's response -- to back up and cover up -- wasn't a good sign of things to come.

Indeed, Te Huna just pushed more and more, nasty punches unloading straight to Beltran's grill. The dude was a zombie, though, staying on his feet and keeping himself alive, even if it was only marginally.

With roughly 40 seconds to go, Te Huna again landed a few strong punches and one of them got through enough to put the tough-as-nails Beltran on his ass.

Te Huna rushed in to finish but somehow, someway, Beltran survived. In fact, Te Huna looked on in shock once the horn sounded and Beltran didn't just keel over and fall out.

Solid first round that actually had the HP Pavilion jumping. All eight of them.

The second wasn't nearly as exciting, at least not at first. Te Huna spent some time on top after a takedown. He didn't do enough with it to avoid a referee stand up, though, and simply went back to work once he was there.

When time winding down, Beltran looked to have connected on a punch that got the crowd on their feet because Te Huna went low but he may have simply been attempting a takedown.

Early in the third, Beltran tried a kick and Te Huna caught it long enough to unleash a few punches that did some good damage. Of course, you would be hard pressed to say that definitively because Beltran just keeps coming, no matter how much punishment he takes.

Te Huna decided to work some more wrestling, scoring some points by getting a takedown just over one minute into the round. Once he got tagged another few times on the feet, he took Beltran down again and worked from top.

They finished strong, exchanging blows to the final bell. Te Huna won the decision.

Remember, too, to check out's live ongoing coverage of the UFC on FUEL TV 4 main card by clicking here.

Sign up for the newsletter Sign up for the MMA Mania Daily Roundup newsletter!

A daily roundup of all your fighting news from MMA Mania