Leave it to UFC President Dana White to drop a bombshell on Twitter late at night.
That's exactly what he did tonight, though, when he announced that Alistair Overeem is officially out of the UFC 146 main event against Junior dos Santos on May 26, 2012, at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. He will be replaced by Frank Mir. Cain Velasquez, who was previously scheduled to face Mir, will get a new opponent, though that has yet to be announced.
Taking off to Atlanta!!!! May 26 is now Mir vs JDS for the HW title in Las Vegas at the MGM Grand.
This comes as quite the surprise, considering it wasn't long ago that White was saying Mir would fight Velasquez no matter what happened with Overeem. He also said the Dutchman would get his day in front on the Commission and they would make a decision from there.
But "The Reem's" hearing is scheduled for April 24. That's four days from now for those not paying attention.
So why the sudden change?
This situation spiraled out of control thanks to Overeem failing a surprise drug test for elevated testosterone levels at a surprise screening at a UFC 146 press conference to announce the event.
It turned out "Demolition Man's" T/E ratio was a whopping 14:1. For context, a normal human is 1:1 and the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) allows for up to 6:1.
This led a pissed off Dana White to ponder "Demolition Man's" future with the world's largest fight promotion. White was upset because he felt he had been lied to when he initially signed the Dutchman to a contract. Obviously, all parties were aware of the perception Overeem has battled throughout his career -- that he's on steroids -- and White and company wanted reassurances. Once they were given, pen was put to paper.
So when alerted to Overeem's drug test failure, White wasn't exactly a happy camper.
Obviously, this created absolute chaos in the mixed martial arts (MMA) world. Everyone and their mother seemed to be campaigning to take Overeem's place at the Memorial Day weekend table.
Frank Mir was quick to throw his name out as the right man to replace "The Reem," though White just as quickly declared that Mir vs. Velasquez will go on as planned. Obviously, he spoke too soon.
More insanity came other names started getting thrown into the proverbial hat. Fedor Emelianenko was tossed out there by MMAmania.com Commander-in-Chief Thomas Myers. Fans began a Twitter rally for Mark Hunt to be awarded the position. Others asked Dan Henderson if he would be willing to move up, to which he responded yes, creating yet another interesting name for the discussion.
Even UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones said he would entertain taking the fight if it came down to it.
Thankfully, cooler heads prevailed and the smart but simple decision was made. Mir is a main event level player who has headlined the biggest show of all time. He's a former champion on a three-fight win streak with the right credentials and credibility to step up to the plate.
But does he have any chance of hitting a home run against the Brazilian bomber next month?
In the meantime, keep it locked to MMAmania.com for further updates to UFC 146 and Alistair Overeem's drug case. For more on "The Reem's" wild ride over the last month click here.