Two Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) veterans -- Sean McCorkle and Karo Parisyan -- were in action last night (March 31, 2012), headlining the Worldwide Mixed Martial Arts (WMMA) event in separate fights at the Don Haskins Center in El Paso, Texas.
Both men experienced different outcomes.
In the main event, McCorkle -- who was on a six-fight win streak since his UFC release -- couldn't handle the overwhelming leg-kick attack of Brian Heden, who went on to wear down "Big Sexy" en route to a technical knockout victory in round two.
Parisyan, meanwhile, steered himself out of a three-fight losing skid, earning a unanimous decision victory over Thomas Denny in the co-featured fight of the night. "The Heat" has been plagued by injuries, as well as substance abuse and anxiety issues, for the last few years, which are all hopefully behind him.
When healthy and in top form, the fiery Armenian Judo practitioner is a very dangerous Welterweight competitor.
McCorkle and Parisyan weren't the only notables on the WMMA fight card. Drew Fickett, Paul Buentello, Lyle Beerbohm and Darrill Schoonover, among others, were also on the bill. Checkout out complete WMMA 1: "Fighting for a Better World" results after the jump:
- Brian Heden defeated Sean McCorkle via technical knockout (punches) in round two
- Karo Parisyan defeated Thomas Denny via unanimous decision
- Lyle Beerbohm defeated Cleburn Walker via submission (guillotine choke) in round one
- Drew Fickett defeated Kevin Knabjian via submission (guillotine choke) in round one
- Willie Parks defeated Jamaine Facey via unanimous decision
- Rodney Wallace defeated Derrick Mehmen via unanimous decision
- Darrill Schoonover defeated Paul Buentello via unanimous decision
- Chris Gruetzemacher defeated Frank Gomez via technical knockout (punches) in round one
- Esteves Jones defeated Deutsch Pu'u via technical knockout (punches) in round one
- Lionel Lanham defeated Brad Peterson via technical knockout (punches) in round one
For more on WMMA 1: "Fighting for a Better World" click here.