clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

UFC on FOX 5 results recap from last night for 'Henderson vs Diaz' in Seattle

UFC on FOX 5 was the most ambitious mixed martial arts (MMA) main card ever for the world's leading promotion, with a lightweight championship cherry on top that featured the division kingpin, Ben Henderson, defending his 155-pound belt in exhilarating fashion against Nate Diaz. In the end, the KeyArena in Seattle, Wash., two young guns emerged and a tasty treat was served up from start to finish.

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) last night (Dec. 8, 2012) staged a stacked -- and free to see -- mixed martial arts (MMA) event, UFC on FOX 5: "Henderson vs. Diaz," from the KeyArena in Seattle, Washington.

Ben Henderson and Nate Diaz led the charge, colliding in a very unpredictable lightweight showdown that had oddsmakers puzzled since it was announced. Henderson, the champion, was ultimately determined a slim favorite and that "expert" decision turned out to be accurate for the most part.

The only problem was that he didn't win by a "slim" margin.

Henderson was an absolute animal for 25 minutes, pushing the pace and throwing caution to the wind to defend his 155-pound belt. He was not content to win a decision (even though he did ... again), but rather kept the pedal to the metal even though he had the fight clearly won in the fifth and final round.

Diaz was game, unsurprisingly, threatening frequently with leg attacks from the bottom position. Unfortunately for the Cesar Gracie-trained Brazilian jiu-jitsu blackbelt, "Bendo" was just too wily and too much too deal with throughout the course of the bout, failing to reach his intensity level or anything else for that matter.

Henderson simply dictated he frenetic pace, did what he wanted to do and defended everything that Diaz tried to do with relative ease. And he did it all with an illegal toothpick in his mouth.



Mandatory Credit: Joe Nicholson-USA TODAY Sports

Mauricio Rua and Alexander Gustafsson were featured in the co-main event with a future 205-pound title shot promised to the winner. Rua, a former Light Heavyweight kingpin, was looking to return to the top of the heap, while Gustafsson was eager to inhale his first whiff.

Rua came out aggressive, slinging punches toward the sky with the hopes that one of them would connect with the towering 6'5" Swedish stand out. "Shogun" had some success, however, the Brazilian's best chance of the entire three-round bout came in the opening frame when the fight hit the floor and he latched onto one of Gustafsson's lanky limbs.

Despite his best effort, Gustafsson defended the knee bar well, dragging Rua toward the fence and then using the improved position to break free.

From that point forward, Gustafsson used his superior length and distance to control the pace of the fight, pick his shots and, for the most part, stay out of trouble. Rua did have a few fine moments, landing some hard shots, but he was unwilling unable to get the fight back to the mat where it appeared he had the best chance to win.

Then, like clockwork, Rua's cardio betrayed him in the final frame, while Gustafsson pushed the pace and appeared to be fresh as a daisy. Gustafsson would coast to a decision win to the delight of division champion Jon Jones, who expressed his support for the up-and-comer over the fading veteran just hours before the fight.

One legend down, one more to go.


Mandatory Credit: Joe Nicholson-USA TODAY Sports

B.J. Penn emerged from self-imposed MMA retirement with the hopes of buoying his fighter legacy, as well as exacting indirect revenge against his nemesis, Georges St. Pierre, at the expense of his protege at Tristar Gym, Rory MacDonald. It was a fight that he picked, a fact that made the monotone MacDonald giggle in a pre-fight interview.

Now we know the reason.

MacDonald took the Hawaiian back to school, landing short elbows, tricky head kicks and strikes galore for 15 full minutes. His size, reach and overall well-rounded skills were just too much for Penn to overcome, who at times looked completely and utterly lost, standing against the cage, covering up and wincing while "Ares" unloaded his clip point-blank.

At one point, MacDonald landed a savage kick to the liver that had Penn doubled over. He was then just ripping body shots and mixing in head kicks like he was working over a stationary Muay Thai bag. Of course, Penn took his beating and continued to fight; however, it was clear that he was just outgunned, outmuscled and outsmarted.

And, hopefully, out of the 170-pound division for good.

MacDonald did himself a diservice with some showboating toward the end of the bout, dropping his hands and doing a horrible Rashad Evans impersonation. The crowd let him hear it, too, when he used his post-fight victory speech to call out Carlos Condit.

Better get used to it, though, because the 23-year-old MacDonald figures to be around the sport for a very long time moving forward.


Mandatory Credit: Joe Nicholson-USA TODAY Sports

Not too long ago, Matt Brown was on the chopping block, dropping three consecutive fights in 2010 all via submission. He'd rebound to win four of his next five matches, which includes a current three-fight win streak.

That resilience, which is apparently an "Immortal" trait inside and outside the Octagon, earned him an invitation to kick-off a nationally-televised main card on FOX opposite the resurgent Mike Swick.

It was a pressure situation, considering that the promotion booked the welterweight showdown with the hopes that it would be entertaining and set the tone for the rest of the main card.

Did it ever.

Brown threatened early in the first with a nice guillotine, but Swick intelligently -- and patiently defended -- popping his head out after a few minutes to find himself on top of Brown and in his half guard. However, he soon found himself locked in a tight triangle, which again, he intelligently -- and patiently defended -- to see the second round.

And that's where ish got real.

Both men came out swinging, but nothing of significance connected until Swick began to retreat. Brown stalked him, nailed him with a clean left hook that appeared to knockout Swick on his feet, but Brown's momentum continued forward and he drilled "Quick" with a straight right hand before he could hit the floor in a lifeless lump.

Fireworks ordered, fireworks delivered. In spades.


Mandatory Credit: Joe Nicholson-USA TODAY Sports

That's enough from us. Now it's your turn to discuss UFC on FOX 5: "Henderson vs. Diaz" in the comments section below.

Did Brown blow your mind? Is Penn done? Has MacDonald just begun? Is Gustafsson ready for his looming championship opportunity? Who is next for Henderson?

Let's hear it, Maniacs.

Be sure to also check out our complete UFC on FOX 5 blow-by-blow coverage of the entire "Henderson vs. Diaz" event right here. And for a detailed recap of the UFC on FOX 5 "Prelims" bouts on Facebook/FX click here.

Sign up for the newsletter Sign up for the MMA Mania Daily Roundup newsletter!

A daily roundup of all your fighting news from MMA Mania