Confirmed ... apparently.
"This is for the No. 1 contender, and then I get a title shot. That's it for sure. I was actually supposed to get a shot back last year, but that opportunity came up to fight (Nick) Diaz, they asked me if I would move up to fight for the title, and a lot of people wanted to see that, so I said sure no problem so we made it happen. Now I'm back in my original weight class, and I'm just going to put on exciting fights."
The fight he is referring to is a June 18 bout in Dallas, Texas at Strikeforce: "Overeem vs. Werdum" against a very game(bred) Jorge Masvidal.
This will only mark the second lightweight contest for Noons under the Strikeforce banner, the first being a crushing second round knockout win over Jorge Gurgel in Aug. 2010.
As for Masvidal, he holds just two 155-pound wins with the promotion spread over three years; a decision win over Ryan Healy in 2008 and a three-round beatdown of Billy Evangelista just this past March.
Worthy contenders? Or glorified pretenders?
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage