Helsinki, Finland was the scene for Fight Festival 27 this past weekend, an MMA event with a bit of euro flare. Three former UFC fighters headlined the card in Marcus Aurelio, Jake O'Brien, and Sean Salmon.
In the night's main event, "Maximus" Aurelio easily disposed of Finland's own Niko Puhakka with a rear-naked choke in the second round. Much of the opening frame was spent in a bit of a stalemate on the ground before the two fighters returned to their feet where Aurelio closed out the round with some big shots.
In round two, it was Puhakka who landed some effective strikes before he got careless and provided Marcus with an opportunity to take his back and slip in the choke.
"Irish" Jake O'Brien outwrestled Toni Valtonen on his way to a sort of lackluster unanimous decision victory. While Jake was able to get Toni down to the ground at will, he wasn't really able to inflict much damage from his dominant position. But in the same sense, Valtonen was no match for O'Brien on the ground and was unable to control the position throughout the entire fight.
Sean Salmon, best known as the guy who took one hellacious kick to the dome courtesy of Rashad Evans at UFC Fight Night 8, once again fell victim to a fight-ending strike. This time, it was a knee to the body provided by Alexander Shlemenko that ended the fight only 40 seconds into round one.
Check out the full list of Fight Festival 27 results after the jump.
- Marcus Aurelio defeats Niko Puhaka via submission (rear-naked choke) in round two
- Jake O'Brien defeats Toni Valtonen via unanimous decision
- Marcus Vanttinen defeats Martin Zawada via technical knockout (punches) in round three
- Alexander Shlemenko defeats Sean Salmon via knockout (knee) in round one
- Vener Galiev defeats Mikko Suvanto via unanimous decision
- Juha-Pekka Vainikainen defeats Lukasz Bugara via unanimous decision
- Emma Watson defeats Outi Louhimo via unanimous decision
- Joni Salovaara defeats Arvydus Zilius via submission (rear-naked choke) in round two