Aleksander Emelianenko failed to meet the medical licensing requirements and will be unable to compete against Paul Buentello tomorrow night at the Affliction: "Banned" event at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.
MMAmania.com just confirmed the bad news with California State Athletic Commission Executive Director, Armando Garcia, directly.
The state has very strict medical privacy laws; therefore, Mr. Garcia was unable to elaborate on the situation.
He did mention that the CSAC would help find and license a new opponent for Buentello if the fighter and the promotion are interested; however, with the event slated to begin in about 24 hours the window of opportunity is real small.
The heavyweight slugfest between Emelianenko and Buentello was supposed to be the featured bout on the Fox Sports Net telecast -- there's no word yet on how it will look with this latest news.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage