Akihiro Gono has apparently sustained an injury to his hand that requires surgery to repair and will be unable to fight Jon Fitch at UFC 82: "Pride of a Champion" on March 1 from the Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio, according to a translation of Gono's personal blog on this site.
Here's the snip:
"I have a pain in my right hand from November(UFC debut fight) so I could not train enough. I wondered it,Doctor checked my hand again, and this condition was so bad, doctor ordered me to stop fight and all training. And operation is done maybe in January. I am very sorry,my fans and John Fitch..... I will announce operation schedule and come back time."
Fitch and representatives from his American Kickboxing Academy training camp are actually unaware of this latest news.
We'll keep on top of this story to determine if this report is indeed accurate, and if so, what it means for Fitch and Gono down the road.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage