clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Update: Sean Sherk files for extension on steroid appeal hearing

shean sherk steroids

Sherk was scheduled to plead his case on Monday, August 6. Now, it looks like a resolution on the matter will not be determined until sometime in October -- the next available date on the CSAC docket.

Here's a snip from Sherk:

"I don't want this to take any longer than it has to, but I hired my lawyer just a couple of weeks ago. I want to get this done as soon as possible so I can fight B.J. [Penn] in November, but the next hearing wouldn't be until October."

Both samples takes from "The Muscle Shark" prior to his bout with Hermes Franca at UFC 73 tested positive for traces of the banned illegal anabolic steroid known as nandrolone.

He faces a fine and year-long suspension, as well as the prospect of having to forfeit his 155-pound belt.

This latest news casts an even darker shadow over the possible opponent for Penn at UFC 78 in November.

Will the UFC wait for the decision -- just one month before the event -- to announce the showdown? Will Penn face new opponent? Or, will Penn just be put on hold altogether until the status of Sherk is determined?

It's all a mystery right now as the soap opera continues. Stay tuned.

Sign up for the newsletter Sign up for the MMA Mania Daily Roundup newsletter!

A daily roundup of all your fighting news from MMA Mania