Ratings for episode eight of The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 5 on May 24 garnered an overall rating of 1.3 — an increase from the previous week (1.1 overall rating) — according to MMAWeekly.com.
The content of that episode was the unsanctioned backyard brawl between Noah Thomas and Marlon Sims.
Here's a snip from Ivan Trembow at MMAWeekly.com:
"The increase in the overall rating from the previous week can be partially attributed to the commercials promising a brawl at the house, and also to the fact that the UFC had just come off its biggest week of mainstream exposure and awareness in the history of the company."
Compared to previous seasons of the reality series, which airs on the Spike television network, TUF 5 is struggling.
Here's a nice historical breakdown through eight episodes:
- TUF 1 averaged a 1.6 overall rating
- TUF 2 averaged a 1.5 overall rating
- TUF 3 averaged a 1.7 overall rating
- TUF 4 averaged a 1.3 overall rating
- TUF 5 is averaging a 1.2 overall rating
Yep, so far the latest installment hasn't even eclipsed "The Comeback" series, which for the most part underwhelmed fans and viewers alike from the opening credits of the first episode up until the finale.
Despite the disappointing TUF 5 ratings thus far, there seems to be a light at the end of the tunnel. The last two programs (episodes eight and nine) showcased some competitive fights and great action, signaling a shift in a positive direction.
And with talents like Joe Lauson, Gray Maynard, Nate Diaz, Manny Gamburyan, Corey Hill and Matt Wiman still on the board, it doesn't appear that we are in store for a letdown anytime soon.
Better late than never.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage