UFC 175: "'Weidman vs. Machida" blew the roof off the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada, on Sat., July 5, 2014, with an unreal pay-per-view (PPV) offering rich with stories you either need to get up to date on or go back and revisit.
Thrill 'em all
Ronda Rousey is without question the number one female fighter in the world and she proved it once again by soundly defeating Alexis Davis, knocking her out in just 16 seconds.
- Read the full recap of Rousey making quick work of Davis.
- Rousey's dominance paints a grim picture for Cat Zingano when the latter finally returns to claim her title shot.
- Here's why Dana White flipped his lid when Joe Rogan asked Rousey to headline UFC 176 right there in the Octagon in her post-fight interview. Expletives included.
- THAT CUT IS NASTY, WHAT HAPPENED TO RONDA'S HAND?!?
- Read a full breakdown on how exactly Rousey smashed Davis in such smooth fashion.
No doubt about it
Chris Weidman had his silly doubters going into his title defense against Lyoto Machida but he silenced them all with a gritty effort, gutting out a five-round unanimous decision victory to retain the middleweight championship title.
- A round-by-round breakdown (one, two, three, four, five) of the action showed just how up and down the fight was.
- The recap was downright giddy in anticipation of "Fight of the Year" posturing.
- Here's a pic of the scorecard, with some interesting decisions from the judges.
- Watch the highlights of the fight, of which there were many.
- The statistics show the judges awarded the decision correctly but Machida made a strong case for a rematch down the line.
- Read a more in depth breakdown on the thrilling back-and-forth battle.
- Vitor Belfort might be next for Weidman but he's got some business to take care of first.
Highlights and Breakdowns
- Uriah Hall did a number on his toe, mangling it (here's an awful picture if you want to get gruesome) during his fight with Thiago Santos. He won anyway, and you can read a recap here before watching highlights here. If you want to know how he pulled it off, read this.
- Marcus Brimage and Russell Doane had themselves a nice little battle in the main card PPV kickoff, with the latter earning a decision win. Check out the highlights here.
- Urijah Faber claimed he wanted to "headline" the Fox Sports 1 preliminary card against Alex Caceres to showcase his skills to a wider audience. Well, he did, and he did, winning by rear-naked choke. Here's how he made it work.
- Where do they go from here? Find out what could be next for Ronda Rousey, Chris Weidman, and the rest of the main card winners.
- Soooo ... about last night...
- There were some big winners at the show but some equally lowly losers.
- Stefan Struve provided an update on his condition after he reportedly collapsed backstage and had his fight with Matt Mitrione cancelled.
- Here's the full list of bonus award winners.
- Go back and watch the complete post-fight press conference.
- After the press conference, Dana White stuck around for a media scrum to answer further questions. Watch it here.
- The salaries and payouts for everyone competing on the card were released early.
That, my friends, should be enough to keep you talking -- at least for the time being. What gets your vote for the biggest story coming out of UFC 175?
Sound off, Maniacs.
All photos by Stephen R. Sylvanie for USA TODAY Sports