Ross Pearson was on the wrong end of a horrible judges decision this past weekend (June 7, 2014) in his bout against Diego Sanchez at UFC Fight Night 42 in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
Read all about the mixed martial arts (MMA) "robbery" here.
Indeed, the fight world was up in arms after "Nightmare" -- who hails from "ABQ" -- was awarded a split decision victory over "Real Deal" after getting outclassed by the British brawler in the three-round Lightweight co-main event.
Handling the inexplicable decision like a mature professional, Pearson didn't pout or storm out of the cage, he simply took the decision like a man. However, no one will convince him that he actually lost.
Appearing on "The MMA Hour" earlier this afternoon, Pearson spoke about the decision for the first time, saying he believes he put on a textbook performance on how to beat someone as tough as Sanchez. He was mistaken. And, in the process, missed out on an important full paycheck (win bonus).
"I feel like I won the fight. I feel like I've been robbed at the airport and someone stole one of my paychecks. I watched the fight today, and if that wasn't textbook how to bet Diego Sanchez. I don't know how else to put it. Not taking anything away from Diego, that guy is a warrior, he comes to fight every time. We knew going into the fight that it was even more important to outshine him that night and beat him in his hometown convincingly. I think I did that. As you can see on my face, I don't have a mark on my face. He missed pretty much with everything. Everything he threw, I blocked and countered. In the third round, he didn't really get off because every time he tried, he was getting hit. I controlled the pace of the fight when I stood and threw with him I landed the bigger shots. I beat him everywhere and there is no doubt in my mind that I hadn't won that fight."
Furthermore, Pearson says he is in good health and didn't suffer any damage in the fight. Looking for a quick turnaround, "Real Deal" says he wouldn't mind a rematch against Sanchez at UFC Fight Night 46 later this summer in Dublin, Ireland.
"I'm going back into the gym tomorrow completely fine. I have no injuries, I have no medical suspension. I'm cleared to go in straight away. I would like to fight on the Dublin card on July 19 or maybe the China card on August 27. As soon as UFC can get us on a card. If Diego wants to do it again in Dublin, if he's cleared, I would be honored to do it on a neutral ground. At least give me the respect. I went into his hometown and his home crowd and fought him there, lets do it on a neutral ground and lets fight it out."
Pearson has indeed filed a complaint with the New Mexico Athletic Commission, but doesn't expect much to come out of it in his favor.
If nothing else, he would love to see judges be held accountable and explain their decisions. He also wants to make it clear that he doesn't blame UFC or Sanchez for the bad call -- it all lies on judges who are ruining his hard work.
Unfortunately for Pearson, his string of bad luck -- which includes a no-contest (NC) against Melvin Guillard at UFC Fight Night 30 -- couldn't have come at a worse time because he is up for a new contract and fears that his latest "loss" will unfairly cost him some leverage at the negotiation table.
Hopefully, the Zuffa higher ups will overlook those costly calls and pay Pearson what he's truly worth because bad decisions aside, he could be easily riding a four-fight win streak.