The credible "source" who had been spewing the rumors that Floyd Mayweather Jr. would be fighting Manny Pacquiao in September of 2014 has been debunked by the man at the center of the topic, "Money" himself.
After a 15-minute video created three weeks ago by 78SportsTV went viral -- containing statements from an undisclosed source "guaranteeing" the mega-fight later this year -- it caught the attention of some websites like The Guardian and began making the rounds.
Enter boxing publication Fighthype.com, who went straight to the source:
"It's a lie," said Mayweather. "It's not true, if it didn't come from Leonard's mouth, my mouth, or Al's mouth, it's not true."
Well, there goes that idea.
The undefeated Mayweather Jr. proved once again that he is indeed the king of pay-per-view (PPV), after attracting an estimated 2.2 million buys for his latest venture opposite Saul "Canelo" Alvarez on Sept. 14, 2013 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Relive "The One" here.)
While he and "Pac-Man" would surely generate some "Money" -- something Pacquiao could probably use at the moment -- Mayweather has said that the Filipino international's promoter Bob Arum is "in the way."
Until then, Floyd should focus on taking mixed martial arts (MMA) to the next level.