Despite suffering two straight losses under the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) umbrella, Alistair Overeem received another shot to prove himself inside the Octagon when he faces another struggling Heavyweight fighter, Frank Mir, at UFC 167 on Nov. 16, 2013, in Las Vegas, Nevada.
The former K-1 kickboxing champion was knocked out by Travis Browne at UFC Fight Night 26 in the first round (watch video highlights here) just last month. Prior to his loss to "Hapa," Overeem was stopped by Antonio Silva at UFC 156, ending his 11-fight win streak.
And while the aura surrounding the striking Dutchmen has somewhat diminished following his two devastating knockout losses, "The Reem" is determined to show that -- despite not fully living up to the hype prior to his UFC debut -- he still has what it takes to compete with the best big men in the sport with a win in "Sin City."
However, should he fail to accomplish his goal, the outspoken Overeem says it may be high time for him to try his hand at something else (via "The MMA Hour"):
"I am telling you this, if I lose to Frank Mir, I better start doing something else, because I can't lose three fights in a row. If I lose to him, that's three in a row so I better start doing something else because that's definitely not good. I still would like to fight a couple of years, so, that being said, I'm not going to retire (should he lose to Mir). Frank Mir, I just need to beat this guy."
Admitting Mir was way off his radar, Overeem sees the fight as a "fair" match up based on the fact that both Heavyweight standouts have seen better days inside the cage.
"Frank Mir, he's a name, he's a top 10 guy, former champion. This is going to be my third fight this year, I'm a fighter who likes to be active, so we're on the same boat, we both have losses so for me, I think it's a very interesting and a very fair fight."
A much-improved Mir was recently was knocked out by Josh Barnett in round one of their co-main event at UFC 164, handing him his third straight defeat with his previous two losses coming to Junior dos Santos and Daniel Cormier.
While it's hard to believe the ZUFFA-owned mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion would actually release high profile veterans such as Overeem or Mir, a loss for either man won't do them any favors if they wish to be employed as a UFC fighter after November.
A job title Overeem -- and more than likely Mir -- isn't planning on letting go of anytime soon.