Welcome, Maniacs, to the fifty-seventh edition of "This Week in MMAmania.com." MMAmania is a gigantic and glorious place and we pump out a ridiculous amount of content. If you don't refresh this site every 60 minutes, you might just miss something amazing.
Have no fears, that's what this weekly article is all about! We'll recap the best of all things MMAmania, whether it be a great comment, a Fan Post, an article, video or something else.
- Comment of the Week: J_M_I Himself absolutely killed it with his hilarious take on Tito Ortiz betraying Rampage Jackson by hitting him in the back of the head with a hammer in TNA last week, referencing one of Tito's many patented excuses.
Great! Now they BOTH have cracked skulls!
- J_M_I Himself
- Article of the week: Jesse Holland's History pieces are always a treat and look no further than his delving into some old school WEC fights when Carlos Condit originally won the welterweight strap there for a prime example.
- Statistic of the Week: Lyoto Machida may be fighting Tim Kennedy at middleweight next, but if he had actually taken on Chael Sonnen in a parking lot and sold it on pay-per-view, it would have done bonkers numbers. At least that's what our traffic numbers said when Machida vowed to battle the mouthy ex-realtor sometime in the future.
- MMAmania's Verbal Submission Podcast: The Verbal Submission podcast returned this week with a special two hour edition co-hosted (for the foreseeable future) with Matt Roth. We also had interviews with UFC fighters Jessica Eye and Brian Melancon. (Editor's note: we'll switch to Tuesday nights at 10 pm whenever UFC has a special Wednesday event).
Did you miss it? Don't worry, you can listen to the archived podcast by clicking on the player below:
- MMA Meme of the Week: Okay, i didn't see this on Mania, but I found it floating around the internet and it was too funny not to make an appearance:
- Fanpost of the week: If you don't have any money, check out the MMAmania freepool. Always a good time and doesn't cost a dime!
- Honorable mention fanpost of the Week: Quickjab did some interesting investigative journalism on Junior dos Santos' personal life discovering he's back in the saddle.
- Honorable mention comment of the week: Too much WTF and funny for this not to make an appearance. User dia mette recalled a crazy story about his dealings with fearless squirrels in his backyard in the fanpost about the upcoming killer squirrels movie.
i haven't done it in a while, although i might do it again this fall
the squirrel population is out of control. there are no natural predators to keep the food chain in balance. There are some hawks but could use more birds of prey.
They aren't even scared anymore; I saw one jump up on top of my bbq one day. When I went to confront it with some choice words it flinched slightly and went from a sitting position to a jump ready position staring right at me. I had to step back to re-evaluate. The second time I charged with a hockey stick and it took off, but not after marking the top of my bbq with squirrel piss. Squirrel 1, me 0. And so it began,
In the fall when the little vermin's are working feverishly to gather nuts and other food sources. They come in my back yard and dig holes to bury their dinner so they can enjoy it come winter. They pick a spot that they feel is secure and wont be easily found by other squirrels. Right before they dig they stand on their two hind legs and look around to make sure the coast is clear. Little do they know Im watching closely.
Once their food is hidden they calmly and not to quickly leave the spot so as to ensure its safe.
That's when I come in, and calmly walk to the exact spot, so as not to spook the little f**ker and it can watch as I undig the nut or other food source and throw it in the garbage only after giving it the middle finger. Sometimes ive done it to the same squirrell more than once. Me 1, squirrel 1
Ya, I think ill do it again this fall
- dia mette
- Interview of the Week: In case you missed my interview with the recently victorious Travis Browne talking his first round come-from-behind knockout over Alistair Overeem last weekend, check it out.
But that's not all, Michael Stets also had a terrific interview with newly signed UFC women's bantamweight Jessica Eye covering a variety of topics.
- Video of the Week: Only in Russia could a dude accept an MMA fight as a spectator in the crowd, strip down, put on gloves and then KTFO an actual fighter:
- Burn of the Week: Even if he spelled the guy's name wrong, HitoriX had a brutal burn on a certain Brazilian jiu-jitsu instructor who's gotten himself in trouble due to some horrific alleged acts perpetrated by his students.
Team Irving actually has a belt ranking system for rape.
We don't just have great content on MMAmania, our writers also are very active on Twitter.
Here's our honorary #MMAmania Tweet of the Week: Matthew Roth takes it home for his third consecutive week poking fun at War Machine's most recent goofiness:
Viacom: Where it's okay for your fighters to have live-sex shows with their porn star girlfriends.— Matthew Roth (@MattRoth512) August 21, 2013
If you want to catch any good tweets from your Mania writers, here are our accounts: Thomas Myers, Jesse Holland, Matthew Roth, Adam Guillen Jr., C.J. Tuttle, Andrew Richardson, George Halvatsis Jr., Michael Stets, Jason Probst, Cory Braiterman and Brian Hemminger.
- Obligatory TNA of the Week: Girls + Pools + Slow-Motion = Drool
Scottidog's "Good guy comment of the week" - TripPilch paid for ShivanTiger's entry into the next Mania money pool out of the kindness of his heart after finding out about his recent financial difficulties.
unless I win event 10, I will probably be taking a season off. Money is tight, and my insurance deductible ate up most of what I had stored away. RIght now 20 bucks is better spent on a half tank of gas. Anyway, I'm still gonna make my picks each event, so If you wanna keep me in the fight camp, and my scores just won't count that would be cool, at least I can still talk shit that way.
- Bill McNally
You're in, Shiv
fuck you, buddy!
Lastly, let's finish off the week with some Maniac debate. This time, we're looking to the future.
With Conor McGregor injured for 10 months, what UFC prospect do you see picking up the reigns of the hypemobile?
That's it for this week. If you've got an extra suggestions for content, or nominations for articles, comments or discussion topics, please feel free to e-mail me at (and I made this e-mail especially for this): HemmingerMMA@gmail.com.