Since making his Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) debut in November of 2011, Ricardo Lamas has racked up four consecutive wins in the featherweight division, including impressive victories over Cub Swanson, Hatsu Hioki and Erik Koch.
That's because the ZUFFA brass had a last-minute change of heart and decided to go with former lightweight champion Frankie Edgar instead, after Lamas had already agreed to face Aldo and was simply waiting for the fight contract to be faxed over.
After dominating the aforementioned Koch at UFC on FOX 6, "The Bully" was passed over yet again in favor of Anthony Pettis. If that wasn't bad enough, Ricardo was snubbed one more time when "Showtime" came down with an injury and Chan Sung Jung -- the man he was set to face at UFC 162 -- was given the nod against "Scarface" at UFC 163.
That was enough to dishearten the tough brawler and make him question why his employers keet passing him over as he recently expressed on "The MMA Hour:"
"I went into a little depression for a few days. I was going through all this training and everything, and it's out the window, all for nothing. It just kind of left me wondering why I'm getting passed over so much. It's a little disheartening, you know?"
Lamas said the fact that company president Dana White called him personally to apologize for the way everything went down made him feel better and though he still hasn't been promised next crack at the gold, he did reveal that the Las Vegas fight boss told him to be ready for his shot.
If and when that shot comes, "The Bully" says he is going to "surprise" everyone one more time.
"I just want to say, a lot of people don't know about me as a fighter, a lot of people have counted me out of pretty much all of my fights, against Cub, against Hatsu, against Erik, and I've surprised everyone. And if they give me the shot against Jose Aldo, I'll surprise everybody again."
While Ricardo labels "The Korean Zombie" a great challenge that will push the pace against Aldo, he doesn't see him upsetting the champion, which is why he's preparing himself for an eventual showdown against the scrappy Brazilian.
Furthermore, the former World Extreme Cagefighting (WEC) standout isn't interested in facing off against the red-hot Swanson in a No.1 contender's fight, seeing as how he's already defeated him once before.
What say you Maniacs, should Ricardo get the winner of this weekend's (Aug. 3, 2013) 145-pound title fight between Aldo and Jung?