Welcome, Maniacs, to the fifty first edition of "This Week in MMAmania.com." MMAmania is a gigantic and glorious place and we pump out a ridiculous amount of content. If you don't refresh this site every 60 minutes, you might just miss something amazing.
Have no fears, that's what this weekly article is all about! We'll recap the best of all things MMAmania, whether it be a great comment, a Fan Post, an article, video or something else.
"He had his hands down, he was trying to mentally defeat me, make me freeze, make me feel like I didn't deserve to be in the ring with him."
Before the fight, I seem to recall people praising Anderson for his ability to play mind games. So, now that his mind games backfired, they call it "clowning" instead of mind games. He did the same antics against Bonnar, but he was fighting a +1400 underdog this time.
- Article of the week: I'm going to be a vain bitch and nominate my own article about making Anderson Silva vs Nick Diaz, even if it's looking like they're going to do the Weidman vs Silva rematch instead now.
- Statistic of the Week: Mania posts an article about Miesha Tate's nude photos in ESPN's The Body issue and it gets as many hits in 24 hours as Anderson Silva getting knocked out by Chris Weidman. Sometimes I think I'm in the wrong line of work.
- Verbal Submission podcast: MMAmania's Verbal Submission was finally back this week. I held an episode this Wednesday and spoke to guests Ashley Cummins of Invicta FC 6 as well as Phil Claud, head trainer of Sports Lab gym in Portland, Oregon. In case you missed listening live, you can check out the archived episode right here:
- Fanpost of the week: JackJohnBrown had a great interview with UFC welterweight Matt Brown. I know it's not Mania exclusive, but still very well done.
- Honorable mention comment of the week: I thought MdV's comment in Brian Stann's retirement article was over-the-top sarcastic, just the way I like it.
What? He's not willing to lose any more brain cells to entertain us ?
Boo this man !
- Interview of the Week: In case you missed it, I had a pretty awesome interview with upcoming Invicta FC 6 headliner Marloes Coenen. Go check it out if you haven't already.
If that doesn't satisfy you, feel free to enlighten yourself via my interviews with Invicta 6 fighters Ashley Cummins and Leslie Smith. Got a few more coming before the event goes down tomorrow night. James Goyder also had a great interview with Takeya Mizugaki.
- Video of the Week: How can I not pick the insane Maiquel Falcao street fight?
- Dumbest Comment of the Week: There was a smorgasbord of idiotic comments in the fallout of Anderson Silva losing for the first time inside the Octagon. There were honestly too many to post, although unambig was the worst offender, so I picked four of my favorites:
He threw the fight because he was tired of 185. This properly sets up a drop to 170 to fight GSP
No trolling here
Weidman won because that's exactly what Anderson Silva wanted to happen. Now he gets to fight GSP or Jones, whichever he negotiates with Dana fucking White.Silva abdicated the throne when he realized Weidman had nothing for him
No big surprise here. Greatness weighs heavy on the shoulders of giants.
You never know anything in this sport. Especially when you have champions willing to throw fights!
Silva just lost the title by decision...
it's a wierd day for mma.
You can't prove that Silva didn't throw it and I can't prove that he did. All we have is circumstantial evidence. Based off what I have seen Anderson did throw the fight
We don't just have great content on MMAmania, our writers also are very active on Twitter.
Here's our honorary #MMAmania Tweet of the Week: George Halvatzis Jr. called it spot on about Chris Weidman vs Anderson SIlva.
And in case anyone's calling that a fluke (idk because I haven't looked at tweets yet) you're stupid. Weidman played the game the right way.— George Halvatzis Jr. (@G_H_2) July 7, 2013
If you want to catch any good tweets from your Mania writers, here are our accounts: Thomas Myers, Jesse Holland,Adam Guillen Jr., Mike Bohn, Andrew Richardson, George Halvatsis Jr., Jason Probst and Brian Hemminger.
- Obligatory TNA of the Week: I really want to go to the beach now.
Scottidog's "Good guy comment of the week" - I was actually very happy to see an overwhelming majority of positive comments in the article about Brian Stann's retirement. This was one of many:
Thanks for some wonderful fights. Glad to see you go out on your own terms. Good luck, Mr. Stann.
Lastly, let's finish off the week with some Maniac debate. This week, we're reminiscing.
In light of his retirement, what was your favorite moment in Brian Stann's career? It doesn't have to involve fighting.
That's it for this week. If you've got an extra suggestions for content, or nominations for articles, comments or discussion topics, please feel free to e-mail me at (and I made this e-mail especially for this): HemmingerMMA@gmail.com.