Ever since he first stepped into the Octagon against Chris Leben at UFC Fight Night 5 on June 28, 2006, Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) middleweight titleholder Anderson Silva has been essentially untouchable within the confines of the eight-sided cage.
While he has had a few close calls, "The Spider" has decisively defeated every foe who has stepped in front of him, and more often than not it is in a more incredibly fashion than the last.
Silva's 16-0 run in the UFC over nearly seven years has been unlike anything ever seen in mixed martial arts (MMA), and this Saturday night (July 6, 2013) at UFC 162, the Brazilian sensation will look to add one more tick to the win column of his already unfathomable resume when he takes on the undefeated Chris Weidman.
Silva knows what it takes to win inside the cage, and beyond that, he knows what it takes to win in a spectacular, jaw-dropping fashion. He is capable of pulling off moves in competition that most wouldn't even risk attempting in sparring, and he does it in an effortless fashion.
Every time the legendary champion steps in the cage it is a monumental occasion for the sport, and with one of the most significant bouts of his career just around the corner, what better time than now to take a closer look at all the achievements Silva has under his belt thus far.
Follow me as we go "Behind the Numbers" for Anderson Silva:
- Currently ranked as the No. 1 middleweight in the world and No. 1 ranked pound-for-pound fighter in the world, according to the official UFC rankings.
- At 38, is the second oldest active fighter in the UFC middleweight division behind Cung Le (42).
- Tied with Chuck Liddell and Randy Couture for the second most wins in UFC history at 16. Matt Hughes and Georges St. Pierre hold the record with 18 wins.
- Holds the UFC record for most consecutive victories at 16.
- His 12 post-fight bonuses are tied with Joe Lauzon for the most ever. Silva's six "Knockout of the Night" awards are the most in UFC history.
- Has fought in the main event in 15 of his 16 UFC fights.
- His 12 victories in the middleweight division is tied with Yushin Okami for the most in UFC history.
- His 11 (technical) knockout wins are the most of any fighter in UFC history.
- His 17-fight MMA win-streak is third among active UFC fighters. Glover Teixeira is second with 19-straight wins while Khabib Nurmagomedov and interim bantamweight champion Renan Barao are tied for the longest MMA win-streak of any active UFC fighter with 20 wins in a row.
- At 38, will become the second oldest fighter to compete in a UFC championship bout behind Randy Couture, who fought for UFC gold at 45 years old.
- Tied with Georges St. Pierre for the most wins in UFC championship fights at 11.
- Holds the UFC record for consecutive title defenses at 10.
- His 12th UFC title fight will tie him with Matt Hughes for third most ever. Georges St. Pierre is second with 13 while Randy Couture leads the category at 15.
- Silva's 2457-day title reign is the longest of any fighter in UFC history. Second is to St. Pierre who has held the welterweight belt for 1903 days.
- Holds the highest significant striking accuracy of any fighter in UFC history at 67.76%.
- Has the fourth highest takedown defense in UFC middleweight history at 83.7%.
- Of his 16 UFC victories, has defeated opponents by 12 different methods.
- Has scored the most knockdowns of any fighter in UFC history at 17.
- Has only fought past the second round four times in his UFC career. Only gone to a decision twice.
- Has never been defeated by (technical) knockout in his 37-fight career.
What does all this mean? It means Anderson Silva is a one-of-a-kind fighter and without question the greatest fighter to ever compete step foot inside the Octagon.
But you already knew that, didn't you?
For more news and notes on UFC 162: "Silva vs. Weidman," visit our complete event archive here.