Welcome, Maniacs, to the forty-seventh edition of "This Week in MMAmania.com." MMAmania is a gigantic and glorious place and we pump out a ridiculous amount of content. If you don't refresh this site every 60 minutes, you might just miss something amazing.
Have no fears, that's what this weekly article is all about! We'll recap the best of all things MMAmania, whether it be a great comment, a Fan Post, an article, video or something else.
- Comment of the Week: I know making fun of Fitch or GSP or Askren for not finishing fights isn't exactly the most original joke but scott1's response to the Top UFO investigator saying he'll help GSP overcome his fear of aliens was amazing.
wish someone would help him with his fear of finishing fights
- Article of the week: Andrew Richardson had a terrific breakdown of Rashad Evans, who's competing in the main event of UFC 161 tomorrow night. I highly encourage you to check it out if you haven't already.
- Statistic of the Week: I found it fascinating that despite this being an MMA blog, our most popular article this week was our coverage of the Brazilian jiu-jitsu pay-per-view Metamoris II, which featured several excellent submission matches. You just never know what will stir interest.
- MMAmania's Verbal Submission Podcast: The podcast was back this week as yours truly talked to Glory 9 kickboxer Dustin Jacoby about his upcoming appearance in the single night eight man light heavyweight tournament.
Did you miss it? Don't worry, you can listen to the archived podcast by clicking on the player below:
- Fanpost of the Week: It's not MMA-related, but Deuce02's post about the NSA and spying on Americans is important for anyone and everyone to check out. Educate yourself.
- Honorable mention fanpost of the week: This one goes to JohnyBoy6969 for his "who should fight who?" post following UFC on Fuel TV 10. Well done.
- Honorable mention comment of the week: Congratulations to DoctorMMA for his hilarious comment (even if you disagree) about Phil Davis' chances of beating Lyoto Machida, particularly the fact that he's bringing in Yushin Okami to help him prepare for "The Dragon."
He could even bring in Lyoto himself to train, it won't matter.
- Video of the Week: You'll see it referenced below, but Brendan Schaub's performance at Metamoris II was definitely Benny Hill-worthy
Burn of the Week: unambig gets the honors this week for putting TLQ in his place on homosexuality and genetics.
You can't compare being gay to being black....
People aren't born gay, it's a lifestyle choice. Perfect example is the NBA player Jason Collins who came out, has an identical twin with the exact same genetics and is straight as an arrow. He wasn't born that way is my point or his identical twin would be gay as well.
People ARE born gay, just as you were born stupid
You can't help it either
We don't just have great content on MMAmania, our writers also are very active on Twitter, most notably our beloved Geno Mrosko. Unfortunately, Geno seems to have deleted his Twitter account a while ago, so other Mania writers had to step up their game. Let's see how they did.
Here's our honorary #GenoTime Tweet of the Week: I thought Andrew Richardson's tweet about Brendan Schaub following his shameful appearance at the Metamoris II submission grappling event was hilarious.
Schaub is now hated by the majority of fans in TWO separate sports— Andrew Richardson (@ThePrideBJJ) June 10, 2013
If you want to catch any good tweets from your Mania writers, here are our accounts: Thomas Myers, Jesse Holland,Adam Guillen Jr., Mike Bohn, Andrew Richardson, George Halvatsis Jr., Jason Probst and Brian Hemminger.
- Obligatory TNA of the Week: This gif is tight.
Scottidog's "Good guy comment of the week" - This one goes to Plainview. We don't always see eye to eye, but when many expected the Josh Thomson gay marriage comment thread to be a complete disaster, he got things off to a good start with this comment:
In all seriousness though, people who view gay marriage this way
will be viewed the same was as people who were against interracial marriage in the 50s and 60s.
Anyone who says these things and doesn't believe gays deserve the same rights (both marital and monetary) as everyone else is a bigot and a lower human being that should be phased out from society.
Lastly, let's finish off the week with some Maniac debate. This week, we're talking something completely random.
What professional athlete from a completely different sport do you feel would do best at mixed martial arts if they stepped into a cage tomorrow?
That's it for this week. If you've got an extra suggestions for content, or nominations for articles, comments or discussion topics, please feel free to e-mail me at (and I made this e-mail especially for this): HemmingerMMA@gmail.com.