Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) heads to Sweden for the second time in its mixed martial arts (MMA) history as UFC on FUEL TV 9: "Mousasi vs. Latifi" goes down this Saturday afternoon (April 6, 2013) from Stockholm.
That said, the revised event headliner will see former Strikeforce light heavyweight champion Gegard Mousasi enter the Octagon for the first time against unheralded Ilir Latifi, who stepped in for Gustafsson on Tuesday (April 2, 2013) on super short notice.
With the event just days away, let's take a few minutes to review some event-related facts about UFC on FUEL TV 9.
Check them out:
- Gustafsson was originally scheduled to compete in the main event, but was scratched from the card because of a cut above the eye (see it here).
- Latifi faces Mousasi on four days notice after Gustafsson was not cleared to fight by the Swedish Mixed Martial Arts Federation (SMMAF).
- Brad Pickett is the only Bantamweight fighter in UFC / World Extreme Cagefighting (WEC) history to earn a Knockout, Submission and Fight of the Night bonus.
- Mousasi have never been knocked out in 38 professional fights.
- Mike Easton has successfully defended 13 of 13 takedown attempts in the UFC.
- Ryan Couture's UFC debut will mark the first father-son combination to ever fight in the UFC as his father, Randy Couture, is a former UFC Heavyweight and Light Heavyweight champion.
- The last six UFC on FUEL TV main events have ended via knockout or submission. In fact, the last UFC on FUEL TV headliner to go to a decision was at UFC on FUEL TV 2 when Gustafsson outpointed Thiago Silva on the judge's scorecards.
- Ross Pearson has outstruck his opponent in strikes in all eight of his UFC bouts.
- Robbie Peralta holds the UFC record for fastest knockout in a Featherweight bout with his 23-second finish of Jason Young at UFC on FUEL TV 5.
- Mousasi has finished his opponent in 29 of his 33 career victories, 26 of them in the first round.
- According to Fight Metric, Pickett's significant striking accuracy is at 33.2 percent, while his opponent Easton is at 34.3 percent.
- Conor McGregor will make his UFC debut as the first Irish-born fighter in the organization's history.
- According to the official UFC rankings, Pickett is the No. 5 Bantamweight contender, while Easton is the No. 9-ranked contender.
- Eleven of the 26 fighters on the card once appeared on The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) reality show.
- Couture will make his UFC debut after competing in all seven of his professional bouts under the Strikeforce banner.
That's a wrap for this set of UFC facts.
Did you learn anything new/interesting? Do any of the facts change your perspective on Saturday's fights?
Let us know below!