Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Welterweight Champion Georges St. Pierre is unsure about the next step in his mixed martial arts (MMA) career will be, but he is certain a decision will be made after he sees the outcome of some upcoming match ups.
That is until UFC President Dana White once again clouded the picture at last week's UFC on FOX 7 pre-fight press conference, indicating that "Rush" vs. "Bigg Rigg" was far from guaranteed. That's because the French-Canadian has the "super" option of taking a bigger bout if he chooses such as a a showdown with UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva.
"I am literally going to call Georges St. Pierre today and see what he wants to do [next]," said White. "I think if Jon Jones beats Chael Sonnen [at UFC 159] then we have to wait [for the outcome of] Anderson Silva and his fight against Chris Weidman. Maybe [Georges] wants to fight Anderson if he wins [at UFC 162]."
"If Georges says to me, 'I want to fight Anderson,' do you think I'm going to go, 'No you're not, you're fight Johny Hendricks!'" White said.
According to St. Pierre, though, that conversation has yet to take place.
Even though he is still constantly training, the 31-year-old has been busy in Los Angeles, Calif., for the past week shooting his upcoming role as lead villain in "Captain America: The Winter Soldier," which is expected to be released in April 2014.
Filming for the movie is now over, but while in L.A., St. Pierre stopped by the FUEL TV studios where he was interviewed by host Kenny Florian on Tuesday's (April 23, 2013) edition of "UFC Tonight," providing an update on his fight future since his brief acting stint has come to a conclusion.
"[Dana White and I] haven't spoken," St. Pierre stated. "I probably need to know the outcome of the next couple fights. We're going to talk later on."
A superfight with Silva is one for which fight fans have clamored for years; however, "The Spider" currently has his hands full in the form of an upcoming fight with undefeated "All American" in July.
That is likely one of the "next couple fights" St. Pierre speaks of.
While St. Pierre didn't dismiss the idea of the match up taking place, he did affirm (again) that if he were to move up in weight to fight the Brazilian, it would be a permanent move.
"If I'm going up to 185, I will not be able to come back down after," St. Pierre stated. "At 170, I don't think I have the luxury of choosing my opponent, and I will fight whoever the UFC tells me to fight."
Moving up a weight division would be an appealing move because St. Pierre would have a slew of new match ups at his disposal. Unfortunately, though, most people -- including St. Pierre -- feel there is still work to be done at welterweight.
"I haven't fought everybody at 170. I've been out for a long time and my division has changed," he said. "Now Johny Hendricks is a new guy right now, and he brings a very big threat to me."
St. Pierre appears to be getting pulled in one direction by fans who want to see the "super" fight with Silva take place and another by fans who want to see the rightful contender in Hendricks get his well-deserved shot at the belt.
White and the rest of the UFC brass have wanted to put St. Pierre vs. Silva together for years now and at this point it seems like the final decision will come down to the 170-pound champion.