Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is returning to the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, on May 25, 2013 for its annual Memorial Day Weekend extravaganza. Headlined by a heavyweight main event between Cain Velasquez and Antonio Silva (part two), the pay-per-view fight card (see it here) was also expected to have Junior dos Santos vs. Alistair Overeem serving as the co-main.
Except its not, and over the past few days, rumors have been swirling about who "Cigano" would face at UFC 160 with "The Reem" on the sidelines due to injury.
Here's what we know so far:
1. Alistair Overeem suffered a boo-boo on his leg and pulled out of his Junior dos Santos fight at UFC 160.
2. Mark Hunt steps up and asks to replace "Demolition Man" against "Cigano."
3. Fans #Rally4MarkHunt.
4. UFC President Dana White says Hunt was offered the fight and turned it down.
5. Hunt calls himself a general and claims he never turned down that (or any other) fight.
6. White tweets that he had a GREAT conversation with Hunt.
What the hell is going on?
I think White made it pretty clear this week -- based on the existing bad blood -- that he wants Dos Santos to fight Overeem. The Dutchman's injury is not that severe and he could presumably bump the fight to later in the summer instead of rushing in a potential substitute.
Perhaps White has bigger fish for the New Zealander to fry?
Hunt has been asking for a top five opponent after jaw-jacking Stefan Struve last weekend in Japan (rewatch it here) and if his conversation with the boss was as GREAT as White claims it was, expect an announcement on his next opponent sooner rather than later.
Just don't expect it to be Dos Santos.