UFC on FUEL TV 8 results: Mark Hunt knocks out Stefan Struve walking away

Mark Kolbe

Mark Hunt knocked out Stefan Struve with yet another of his patented walk away shots in the third round of their heavyweight battle at tonight's (March 2, 2013) UFC on FUEL TV 8: "Silva vs. Stann" event in Japan.

After an incredibly dull night of fights, the co-main event of UFC on FUEL TV 8: "Silva vs. Stann" tonight (March 2, 2013) at the Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan, was supposed to blow the roof off the building. That's because the heavyweights took center stage with the tallest fighter in UFC history, Stefan Struve, showing up to throw hands with one of the fight game's brightest personalities, Mark Hunt.

Did they bring the goods?

Well ...

Hunt came out winging those big right hands. Funny enough, his overhand right was landing to the body. A takedown led to Hunt sitting on top for a short time before he was swept and mounted in short order by his much taller foe.

"The Skyscraper" worked some ground-n-pound from there before transitioning to an armbar attempt "The Super Samoan" was able to slip out of. Struve stayed on the attack because Hunt refused to back out and get to his feet, instead electing to pass to side control. He manged to pull off as much with 15 seconds to go in the round but ran out of time before he could do much damage.

Into the second, however, Struve started doing that thing where he just stands there covering his head while his opponent unloads punches on his head. Hunt obliged him, too, staying mostly patient but hitting to the body and the dome in between Struve pushing him away.

Once the Dutchman finally did come in to clinch, Hunt just hip tossed him to the mat. Oddly enough, he went on down and stayed there, despite all the success he was having on his feet. He did manage to pass to side control but he couldn't keep the position and it didn't take long for Struve to scramble out, earn a takedown of his own, and pass to full mount.

And there came the punches, raining down as heavy as Struve could bring them.

He was tired, though, and instead of expending more energy throwing punches and elbows from on top, he threw his legs over for an armbar attempt that he failed to lock in, losing his position to end the round.

Both guys looked dead trying to recover before the third.

It was as sloppy as heavyweight fighting gets in the third, but that turned out to be a good thing because both Hunt and Struve just started unloading with whatever they had left in the tank.

As it turns out, Hunt's hard left hook to the jaw was enough to earn a technical knockout victory.

Finally, a sweet, sweet finish.

For complete results and blow-by-blow coverage of UFC on FUEL TV 8 click here.

Log In Sign Up

Log In Sign Up

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.

Join MMAmania.com

You must be a member of MMAmania.com to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at MMAmania.com. You should read them.

Join MMAmania.com

You must be a member of MMAmania.com to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at MMAmania.com. You should read them.




Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.