Apologies for the super delay. Time with Mania and earning extra money sometimes do not go hand-in-hand. You have to forego of the other. I finally found time tonight after submitting the first draft of the paper and here we go.
So it was only now that I was able to watch this event thanks to Mr. Torrent. What can I say, GSP simply showed up as GSP post-UFC 69 Serra KO. Get the take downs, land some elbows, take the back but make sure to just punch. GSP outstruck the guy from 209 but he seemed to have faded in the 4th and 5th rounds and it's visible that he was frustrated when he could not get the take downs. Carlos Condit, arguably won that fight if they judged it on MMA rulebook and not just on takedowns landed. Condit exhibited the most active guard I have ever seen and the Beard was forced to play the GSP route.
Now enough of my non-sense and let's head to the Money Pool. This event was won by freenow82 who picked all fights by decision and somehow got a high score of 96 and made Mania proud by appearing in playgrounds front page. Our amigo, pabloXL made a surprise appeance on the second place trophy by getting his rhythm and scoring 83 points. kimuraalloveryourface is also climbing up the rankings as he placed third for this event scoring 81 points.
As for me, the Hot Bout curse continued as I am 0-4 on hot bouts now. Next time, I will let you guys know who I am picking so you could pick the opposite. I also slid out of the top 10 after picking all 12 decisions and picking scrubs like Duran, Dan Miller and Nick Ring.
After seven (7) events, it is a close fight between Snake_Pliskan, Jido7 and kg12. Letstalkmma, sklart, freenow, afrotikiman and MMA Boss are still in contention though.
LASTLY, I noticed that as the season progresses, we have people not getting their picks in. It has been rampant this event as we have JACARE, SEPENOOB, ULF-MURPHY, REDMAN, and MURPH0706 who got 0 points for not picking anything. Do we have problems guys? Please let us know.
Let's get the ball rolling:
|Welterweight||Georges St-Pierre||def.||Nick Diaz||Decision (unanimous) (50-45, 50-45, 50-45)||5||5:00|
|Welterweight||Johny Hendricks||def.||Carlos Condit||Decision (unanimous) (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)||3||5:00|
|Welterweight||Jake Ellenberger||def.||Nate Marquardt||KO (punches)||1||3:00|
|Middleweight||Chris Camozzi||def.||Nick Ring||Decision (split) (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||Mike Ricci||def.||Colin Fletcher||Decision (unanimous) (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)||3||5:00|
|Preliminary card (FX)|
|Welterweight||Patrick Côté||def.||Bobby Voelker||Decision (unanimous) (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)||3||5:00|
|Featherweight||Darren Elkins||def.||Antonio Carvalho||TKO (punches)||1||3:06|
|Welterweight||Jordan Mein||def.||Dan Miller||TKO (punches)||1||4:42|
|Lightweight||John Makdessi||def.||Daron Cruickshank||Decision (unanimous) (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)||3||5:00|
|Preliminary card (Facebook and YouTube)|
|Welterweight||Rick Story||def.||Quinn Mulhern||TKO (punches)||1||3:05|
|Bantamweight||T.J. Dillashaw||def.||Issei Tamura||KO (knee and punches)||2||0:26|
|Bantamweight||George Roop||def.||Reuben Duran||Decision (unanimous) (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)||3||5:00|
- DANAGO, KEVJACK115, 209STK, 209KING, BIGGANT, DEUCE02, SCARNON, HIGHALLTH3TIME, BIGGCASTLE and RICKY DOOBY formed the 17% that picked the 209 king to upset the Canadian wrestling machine. Sorry guys, Nick just doesn't have the take down defense to deal with GSP. Try Nate versus The Goat.
- 35 people (59%) picked the Natural Born Killer to put a stop to the Beard Train (who was picked by only 24 people or 41%). You could argue that Hendricks won via take downs but could also one could make the argument that Condit won that fight by having an offensive guard, better striking and a more diverse MMA game.
- 38 people (63%) of the camp picked Cote to give a rude welcome to slugger Bobby Voelker who was picked by 22 people (37%). It was slobber knocker of a fight and one can argue that one could have won the fight. As of now, I am happy with my 11 points on Cote.
- 41 people (68%) picked Ellenberger to put a beatdown on Marquardt who was picked by 19 people (32%). Nate was exhibiting good kicking skills in that fight until a monster right caused his consciousness to go back to the Colorado Mountains where Brokeback Mountain was shoot.
- In the hot bout of the evening, 37 people (62%) picked the up and comer Mein to defeat the gritty veteran Miller who was picked by 23 people (38%). Miller was close with that arm bar but Mein proved too much for the ultra tough Miller. There goes my Hot Bout again, 0-4 and counting.
- 36 people (60%) picked Nick Ring to grind out a decision over New Jersey's own Camozzi who was picked by 24 people (40%). It is arguable that Ring took Rounds 1 and 2 so I am wondering why Camozzi (who definitely won round 3) won via split decision. Can the real slim shady please stand up?
- 42 people (70%) picked Daron to beat the bull named Makdessi as picked by 18 people (30%). Daron wasn't able to handle Makdessi's more diverse striking game.
- DANAGO, KEVJACK115, OHMAMADOES, TAP SNAP OR BONS, CRUZ JACKSON, DLOCC and LETSTALKMMA believed that the striking prowess of Pato can nullify the wrestling of Elkins. Uh oh, guess what, Elkins can KO also.
- RGIII, DANAGO,RAMPAGELANGFORD, DILDON, AUSSIE, TAP SNAP OR BONS, CRUS JACKSON, SARAH, SPACEBEN, and PHINSALLDAY formed the 17% that got enamored by the Freak Show. Unfortunately, Ricci's purple (or is it blue?) belt and the samurai were enough for him to bore the shit out of us and proved that he is just another GSP/Rory wannabe.
- RAMPAGELANGFORD, BITEMYJACKET and SHIVAN TIGER picked Mullhern against Ricky. It proved to be horror to them as Ricky boy KOed Quinn.
- NO ONE in our camp picked Tamura. Need I explain more?
- 36 people (60%) picked Duran to beat Skeletor Roop who was picked by 24 people (40%).
1ST PLACE: $20 MAN: FREENOW82
- Scored an event high 96 points going 11/12 correct picks.
- Picked 12/12 decisions
- Perfect points for GSP, Hendricks, Cote, Makdessi, Ricci and Roop
- Now in the top 10 because of the high score.
- Makes an appearance at the PG front page
- Earns automatic entry to the next season
- Congrats free, I hope your self-imposed ban will be halted for this event and you show up.
SECOND PLACE: PABLOXL
- Scored an impressive 83 points to come as second place
- Went 10/12 correct picks
- Perfect scores for Cote, Ellenberger, Makdessi and 14 points for Mein
- Congrats Amigo, keep it up.
THIRD PLACE: KIMURAALLOVERURFACE
- Scored 81 points going 10/12 correct picks
- Perfect scores for GSP, Ricci, Dillashaw and Roop
- Cracked the top 20. Keep it up buddy
SHIT PICKER OF THE EVENT: 209STK
- Scored a measly 27 points
- Went 5/12
- No perfect picks
- Picked Diaz (duh?)
- Should wear a sig of shame until the next event courtesy of freenow82
THE SCORES AFTER SEVEN (7) EVENTS:
- Snake_Pliskan is still our frontrunner after seven events. Good consistency for him so far. Looking forward to his bad event.LOL
- Jido7 is now second. Detroit is very happy right now.
- kg12 reinstated himself in the top three as he climbed up two notches.
- letstalkmma fell out of the top three
- Our BE-fellow sklart enters the top 5
- freenow82, with his top-scoring event, went up 10 notches
- swiftman, another BE fag, went up 5 notches to tie with freenow
- Jellybelly and MMA Boss went up 3 notches to inch closer to the top 5
- ricky dooby went down 6 notches but is still in the top 10. That's what you get Doobs for picking Diaz. LOL
- Oilcheck and Phasebook crashed out of the top 10. Well, Filipinos won't win this thing so I am not surprised. LOL
- afrotikiman went up 4 notches.
- phinsallday went up 9 notches.
- kimuraalloveryourface placed second and went up 7 notches.
- Ninja Oreo Dollop and BNF went up 8 notches
- Our amigo pabloXL went up 13 notches.
- Daniel Worby went up 6 notches.
- Unable to pick, murph0706 went down 18 notches
- Redman, not being able to pick, went down 11 notches.
- Commish Joben and Ulf_Murphy went down 7 notches
- spaceben, Tap Snap or Bons and ViolentMike went down 6 notches
MMAPlayground Season 15: Karate Choppin' Ninjas
7 / 10 events complete
That's it Maniacs. Can Gus survive 5-rounds of K-1 level striking and tricky submissions? Who am I picking for the Hot Bout so you can pick the opposite? Who the fuck is Ryan Laflare? Can Randy's baby boy beat the Brit? Good thing the next event is Free on TV! Will Snake_Pliskan still manage to be on top next event? Who will be guaranteed another sure seat for the next season? Discuss.