Fresh off his third straight loss -- that's right, three in a row, if you can believe that -- at the hands of featherweight champion Jose Aldo this past February at UFC 156, former lightweight champ Frankie Edgar is looking to get back into the swing of things, sooner rather than later.
After coming up short on the judges' scorecards against "Scarface" in Las Vegas in his 145-pound debut, Edgar says he is staying at that division for the time being and still has his eyes on the title. Up next? He wants a "top" name for his next outing.
"The Answer" revealed on his recent appearance on the "The MMA Hour" that fight fans could have seen him in action much sooner than expected, explaining that UFC officials contacted him to headline The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 17 finale opposite Cub Swanson on April 13, 2013. Unfortunately, Swanson suffered a foot injury during his fight against Dustin Poirier last month, which would prevent him from getting back into fighting shape in time.
Despite the delay, Edgar says if a fight against Cub is what UFC wants, then "let's do it."
"He needs to come with it. I'm looking at Cub as a number. If he's the highest ranked guy and that's the fight that is available, then that's the guy I want to fight. I've had seven fights in three years and I've either been champion or fighting for the belt so I think I deserve a top name. He's a number, I don't know what it is. But let's say he is number five. One is the champ, two, three and four, I don't know who they are, if they're full, I may be one of those, I don't know, but number five, seems right, let's do it."
Frankie revealed he wants the bout against Swanson, preferably in June or July, to be a five-round main event bout, something he feels would benefit him, seeing as how six of his last seven contests have gone the distance.
Nevertheless, Edgar says if the fight against Cub is the one the promotion wants, then he is more than willing to tango.
Anyone else feeling this match-up?