It's been a disheartening run for Chad Mendes since losing to Jose Aldo for the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) featherweight title last year. Though he's gone 2-0 since the tough knockout loss; however, his opposition has been extremely poor. Now, for the second time in a row, his scheduled opponent has dropped out just days away the event they were supposed to compete on.
So manny's out. How bout we find out who the real number one contender is @ricardolamasmma— Chad Mendes (@chadmendes) February 9, 2013
Lamas, who is currently on a very impressive four fight win streak, is coming off a recent victory over Erik Koch, a fight that saw him finish Koch with some of the most brutal ground-and-pound in recent memory. What's more, the fight was on FOX, and the exposure will surely help him moving forward. It's pretty clear that Mendes would like to spoil that, and in turn take the momentum Lamas has made for himself.
Lamas replied to Mendes' challenge later that night, and his response may raise a few questions:
@chadmendes I already accepted a fight in may, waiting to announce it, but I'm sure our paths will cross.— Ricardo Lamas (@RicardoLamasMMA) February 9, 2013
After Anthony Pettis recently took a title shot against Jose Aldo --a shot Lamas felt that he deserved more-- Lamas said that he was dumbfounded, and for the time being, not interested in accepting another fight. That period seems to have passed based on what he's said here, and only a week after Aldo vs. Pettis was announced.