Welcome, Maniacs, to the thirty-first edition of "This Week in MMAmania.com." MMAmania is a gigantic and glorious place and we pump out a ridiculous amount of content. If you don't refresh this site every 60 minutes, you might just miss something amazing.
Have no fears, that's what this weekly article is all about! We'll recap the best of all things MMAmania, whether it be a great comment, a Fan Post, an article, video or something else.
- Comment of the Week: It technically wasn't written on the site, but Matt Riddle's interview was an absolute goldmine for comment of the week material. Here was my favorite quote from his appearance on The Verbal Submission this past Wednesday night:
"I've been smoking weed since I was 13 and look at me. I'm in the UFC and I smash people with a smile on my face. It's not a performance enhancing drug. It makes me relax. It makes me happy. Honestly, it probably keeps me from beating my three kids because they're always screaming and crying at me and my wife's crazy and you know what life's like. It's hard sometimes and honestly, I like to go to my game room and rip a tube and just sit back and relax....A lot of people think it's okay to drink a fifth of jack and beat their wife. I don't."
- Matt Riddle
- Article of the week: This one is sweet and simple. With UFC heading back across the pond to the UK next weekend, they've hired a new ring girl in Carly Baker. If you haven't got a good look at her yet, please go check it out. It will be well worth the 5 seconds to open a new tab (and then the 15 minutes in an incognito window).
- MMAmania's Verbal Submission podcast: Not to toot my own horn, but in case you missed it, I hosted the third edition of our weekly podcast with Jason Probst on Wednesday night. Our guests this week were UFC welterweights Matt Riddle and Johny Hendricks and both interviews were downright unforgettable (just read the comment of the week again if you don't believe me). If you didn't tune in live, you can still catch the podcast right here:
- Statistic of the Week: When you nearly decapitate a man with a spinning wheel kick, the article with a video of said knockout is going to get pretty popular really fast. That's what happened for Uriah Hall's insane knockout of Adam Cella, which crushed just about everything else this week. It looks like Mr. Hall is the dude no one wants to fight this season that Dana White was talking about.
- Fanpost of the Week: Let's spread the word out on the new fighter rankings system being promoted by YOU, our wonderful readers, with Phasebook's call for contributors to the rankings system.
- Honorable mention comment of the week: GSP didn't just take a beating from one of the fans at the UFC 158 press conference about not finishing fights, he also had to deal with tap or snap bons, who burned him good in the comment section.
[GSP] couldn't even finish a bag of popcorn.
- tap or snap bons
- Interview of the Week: We had some great interviews this week, but part two of our Mike Richman interview was amazing. He talked some serious shit about his Bellator 88 opponent Mitch Jackson (who he KTFO'd at the end of the first round last night). Go see for yourself if you haven't already.
But that's not all, we also have part one of the interview with Richman and an exclusive with recent TUF season 17 knockout of the year candidate Uriah Hall. Don't forget James Goyder's interview with One FC's Eddie Ng.
- Video of the Week: This week's UFC Primetime for Ronda Rousey vs Liz Carmouche was seriously fantastic. One of the best cases of storytelling they've done to date.
We don't just have great content on MMAmania, our writers also are very active on Twitter, most notably our beloved Geno Mrosko. Unfortunately, Geno seems to have deleted his Twitter account a few week's back, so other Mania writers had to step up their game. Let's see how they did.
Here's our honorary #GenoTime Tweet of the Week: Andrew Richardson and Jesse Holland were our big winners this week:
Let's just say Andrew was rooting for Frankie Edgar last Saturday night.
This has been a weird night of fights that can only be made acceptable by an Edgar victory
- Andrew Richardson
....and just 25 minutes later
I really hate this sport sometimes
Mr. Holland didn't exactly have a good weekend in terms of fight picks:
Think Overeem had it bad? You should see the beating Nostradumbass is taking. Ouch.
- Jesse Holland
If you want to catch any good tweets from your Mania writers, here are our accounts: Thomas Myers, Jesse Holland, Adam Guillen Jr., Mike Bohn, Andrew Richardson, George Halvatsis Jr. and Brian Hemminger.
- Obligatory TNA of the Week: Beyonce rocked it out during the Super Bowl halftime show and I figured it was time we added a little flavor to the TNAOTW.
- Dumbest Comment of the Week: I only bring this one back for special occasions, but this one was a majorly special occasion. The comment below is a warning to all you Maniacs. Don't drink and post (unless you're Joben). You might spew something out like what Rilly did after UFC 156 was over:
Aldo is barely a champion
He'll be shuffled out in the next couple of rotations. Weakest belt holder. Don't give me toughest division argument
Lastly, let's finish off the week with some Maniac debate. As the week comes to a close, let's get some input:
With Overeem losing his title shot last weekend. Who the hell should Cain Velasquez fight next, especially considering he's stated he wants to fight again this summer?
That's it for this week. If you've got an extra suggestions for content, or nominations for articles, comments or discussion topics, please feel free to e-mail me at (and I made this e-mail especially for this): HemmingerMMA@gmail.com.