Matthew Emmons-USA TODAY Sports
Super Bowl 47 is finally here and the Baltimore Ravens will take on the San Francisco 49ers today (Sun., Feb. 3, 2013) in New Orleans. Here's all the information you need to know on the big game, from when it starts, to who is performing at halftime and so much more.
Today (Sun., Feb. 3, 2013) is the big day, Maniacs. No, it's not just the day after a major Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) event, though UFC 156 was a big one. For all the latest and greatest on "Aldo vs. Edgar" be sure to click here and check out our comprehensive coverage of that event.
But, the biggest sporting event in the United States goes down tonight. That's right, folks, it's Super Bowl Sunday.
On top of your usual top flight mixed martial arts (MMA) coverage, we'll be mixing in live updates of the big game between the Baltimore Ravens and San Francisco 49ers. We know some of you folks simply prefer MMA and believe me, there's plenty of that to go around, but we also know there are just as many football fans. So let's have some fun with this.
After all, it's the last game until next season.
Here's all the information you need to know on today's game from the official kickoff time to a live stream online:
- Super Bowl 47 takes place at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome in New Orleans, Louisiana. This marks the 10th time the Superdome will have hosted the big game, more than any other venue in the history of the NFL.
- Super Bowl 47 is scheduled to officially kick off at 6:30 p.m. ET time. The NFL is rather stringent when it comes to kickoff times, so you can bank on that football flying through the air right around 6:30 p.m. ET. Get those cameras ready.
- Super Bowl 47 will be broadcast live on CBS with Jim Nantz and Phil Simms doing commentary. Of the many "A-team" broadcasters, they're one of the absolute worst, at least in this writer's humble opinion, but the NFL's broadcast deals with the major networks dictates a rotation and this year CBS gets the big game. However, if you can't get to a television and you're only able to get online, there's no need to search for an illegal stream. CBSSports.com will have a live stream of the entire game.
- The Super Bowl 47 halftime show will feature Beyonce, as the NFL seems to finally be coming around to using a performer who isn't geriatric after the controversy with Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake nearly ruined halftime shows forever. It's been said that Destiny's Child may reunite for a performance and Jay-Z could also make an appearance.
- The Super Bowl 47 National Anthem will be sung by Alicia Keys. In addition, the Sandy Hook Elementary School chorus will sing "America the Beautiful" before kickoff.
- The 49ers are favored by four points as of this writing. All things considered, this is no real surprise, but the Ravens have been proving the doubters wrong for weeks now. Hell, there were quite a few folks who thought the Indianapolis Colts would take them out in the Wildcard Round. No one believed they could beat the Denver Broncos and New England Patriots, yet that's exactly what they did. Once again, they're the underdogs.
- The 49ers were given a choice of what uniform they would like to wear, seeing as they are the designated "home" team as part of the rotation for the purposes of this game. They elected to wear their red jerseys on gold pants. The Ravens, then, will wear their white jerseys on black pants.
- The officials tabbed to work Super Bowl 47 are Jerome Boger, the head official in charge, Darrell Jenkins, Steve Stelljes, Byron Boston, Craig Wrolstad, Dino Paganelli, and Joe Larrew.
- Check out video of the 2013 Super Bowl commercials here.
There you have it, folks. Stay tuned later today for live coverage and updates of Super Bowl 47.